Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Backwash hose question

Backwash hose question

I have a new Intex sand filter pump that I am SO happy with!! My pool has never been clearer or had this much sparkle to it! However, I need to buy my own backwash hose, and can't seem to find one with good reviews. From what I've read, I need a 2" hose, and for my drainage, about 50' long. I have a threaded fitting, however I have just been using a pipe clamp and it has been working fine (I have been borrowing one from a friend). Can someone recommend a good sturdy hose for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!!
    ~Julie
    Intex AG Round 15'x42" About 4600 Gallons.
    2650 Gallon Sand Filter Pump W/GFCI .
    K-2006 test kit.
    Here in the beautiful Southwest Michigan!

Re: Backwash hose question

I haven't noticed a lot of variety in backwash hoses, I usually just pick up whatever the pool store has. Mine stays out in the sun most of the time and has not failed in 5 years. Walmart and some of the hardware stores also carry backwash hoses.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

I use one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... Bwcno73Arg

The output of my DE filter has a 2" threaded pipe, so I purchased fittings from HD that I could splice onto the end of the hose with a pipe clamp, and with a female threaded end. When it is time to backwash, I unroll, screw onto the end, and run the end of the hose to a part of the yard that needs some water. I then turn on the pump for a couple of minutes in backwash mode. Then I return to normal and pump for a minute, and repeat this 2-3 times until the pressure is around 10 psi. Then I add new DE or cellulose. Works great!
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

Thanks! I've been looking online since I cannot find one in any local store, and the reviews are just awful. Talking of splitting and holes after just a couple uses. I'm not rich, and don't want to spend more than necessary for a hose, however I would spend the money again for the sand filter, and would recommend that to ANYONE! Intex should just include the backwash hose,,,

Thanks for the help!
    Intex AG Round 15'x42" About 4600 Gallons.
    2650 Gallon Sand Filter Pump W/GFCI .
    K-2006 test kit.
    Here in the beautiful Southwest Michigan!

My solution was to use the vacuum hose connected to the backwash connection with a rubber fernco fitting.
    Intex 14' x 42". 3557 Gallons, 1600 GPH Intex Sand Filter, Intex CS8110 Swg Post 2009, 2x20 SunHeater Panel.
    Custom Built Equipment Deck, Small Fountain, Intex LED Light, Custom Built Manifold.