Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: why is a booster pump needed for pressure cleaning?

1. Back To Top    #1

why is a booster pump needed for pressure cleaning?

I've got a 3Hp intelliflo variable speed pump and I want to install a dedicated pressure side cleaner. My plan was to shut off the returns and direct all pressure to that line. But I'm told that with certain polaris cleaners a booster pump is needed. Why can't a 3HP variable speed pump create enough pressure by itself?
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: why is a booster pump needed for pressure cleaning?

Most pressure cleaners will only work properly with a booster due to the fact that booster pumps work differently than a standard circulation pump. Boosters produce high pressure with low flow, circulation pumps are low pressure, high flow. You can use a Polaris 360 or a Letro Legend 2 with a standard pump and both of those are pressure cleaners.

3. Back To Top    #3

In order for the Intelliflo to operate a pressure side cleaner it would have to run way outside it's curve and that's very bad for the pump.

Pressure cleaners require high pressure (head) and low flow. Most pool pumps are either low or medium head, high flow pumps.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks guys, now I understand.
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina