Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks to BBB, my pool looks like this

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks to BBB, my pool looks like this

I don't think my pool has ever been this sparkly. And now I do like a sparkly pool. Maybe I should put some water in there now. Trust me, the coin is clearer in person. [attachment=2:1s2r8ksf]DSCN0009.JPG[/attachment:1s2r8ksf] [attachment=1:1s2r8ksf]DSCN0010.JPG[/attachment:1s2r8ksf] [attachment=0:1s2r8ksf]DSCN0012.JPG[/attachment:1s2r8ksf]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks to BBB, my pool looks like this

[attachment=1:ziorvw7w]DSCN0013.JPG[/attachment:ziorvw7w] Some day I plan on expanding the heater. So far it seems to do a decent job, though. The pool used to be 96, now its down to 86 from all the rain. Had it since some time last year I think. [attachment=0:ziorvw7w]DSCN0015.JPG[/attachment:ziorvw7w]
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you tell me more about your heater? Did you make it or buy it?

You pool looks great! This site is the best for sure!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I made it myself. It's a pretty basic design. I bought some black hose used for sprinkler systems (like this)I believe I used 1 1/2 rolls. I will take clearer pictures later so you can get a better idea of what it is like. I'm not sure just how much it heats up the pool, but I can tell you that in the afternoon, the water coming out can be up to 120 degrees.
    John

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are some more pictures of the heater. If you want me to try to explain anything, let me know. Hopefully the pictures make it clearer how I made it.[attachment=2:hghyotm6]DSCN0001.JPG[/attachment:hghyotm6][attachment=1:hghyotm6]DSCN0004.JPG[/attachment:hghyotm6][attachment=0:hghyotm6]DSCN0005.JPG[/attachment:hghyotm6]
    John

6. Back To Top    #6

Just want to point out that optimal pool heating is accomplished with as high a flow rate through the heater as possible. Having a large delta temp (like 120 deg water) on a small amount of water is less efficient than a smaller delta temp on a larger amount of water.

Also it seems to be generally more cost effective to buy the solar panels vs the diy route. Since the heating is all about the square footage ... it takes a lot of irrigation tubing to match the rectangular panels area.

That said, maybe you do not need the large area of your solar heating demands are low.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Right now I have it set for greater flow, cooler temperatures. I don't really need the pool heated, just had nothing better to do so decided to make this. I can't complain, because the pool is certainly warm enough (91 right now). Good enough for me. Sometimes it is actually too hot, and you can feel yourself sweating in the pool.
    John

8. Back To Top    #8

Thats a cool solar heater. I like the old hockey sticks.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey, use what you got laying around. I like hockey, so have plenty of old sticks. GO DEVILS!
    John