Forgot to make a Bromine bank.....

Jul 30, 2012
at the last fill a week ago. Is this something I can do now after the fact? If so, how much Sodium Bromide should I put in a 500 gal tank? I do have an ozonator.

I am using the Frog Mineral/Bromine system and shocking with 4.25 ounces of oxidizer once a week on their plan.

Yes, you can add sodium bromide at any time to create a bromide bank. There will be some bromide from your bromine tabs, but not that much. Put in the normally recommended amount which is usually around 30 ppm of sodium bromide and which is about 1/2 ounce per 100 gallons.

chem geek said:
Yes, you can add sodium bromide at any time to create a bromide bank. There will be some bromide from your bromine tabs, but not that much. Put in the normally recommended amount which is usually around 30 ppm of sodium bromide and which is about 1/2 ounce per 100 gallons.

if you don't put in sodium bromide, how many tabs would need to dissolve before you had enough from just tabs alone?

One usually starts off with around 60 ppm bromine so you'd have to use quite a few tabs to build up to that amount, but that's not a critical amount and you would still be creating bromine with far smaller a bromide bank. In pools, sodium bromide at only a few ppm is used as an algaecide and is activated by chlorine. So I wouldn't worry about it. The main reason an initial bromide bank is created is for a two-step bromine system where no tabs are used (where bromine slowly goes away from outgassing or creation of bromates) or for shocking (say to 10 ppm or more) when tabs are used. By having a large enough bromide bank, you ensure that even shocking produces bromine and does so reasonably quickly (i.e. chlorine doesn't hang around for too long).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.