Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Forgot to make a Bromine bank.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Forgot to make a Bromine bank.....

at the last fill a week ago. Is this something I can do now after the fact? If so, how much Sodium Bromide should I put in a 500 gal tank? I do have an ozonator.

I am using the Frog Mineral/Bromine system and shocking with 4.25 ounces of oxidizer once a week on their plan.
    Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa with 6 jets. 22.5k gallons. 2 X 1.5" pool suction. 1.5" loop with 5 return jets in pool return. 2" SPA suction and return. 230 Volts. Pentair 2HP pump and a booster pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520 (520 sf). STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Leuder limestone coping. Wooden deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Forgot to make a Bromine bank.....

Yes, you can add sodium bromide at any time to create a bromide bank. There will be some bromide from your bromine tabs, but not that much. Put in the normally recommended amount which is usually around 30 ppm of sodium bromide and which is about 1/2 ounce per 100 gallons.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Yes, you can add sodium bromide at any time to create a bromide bank. There will be some bromide from your bromine tabs, but not that much. Put in the normally recommended amount which is usually around 30 ppm of sodium bromide and which is about 1/2 ounce per 100 gallons.
    if you don't put in sodium bromide, how many tabs would need to dissolve before you had enough from just tabs alone?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

One usually starts off with around 60 ppm bromine so you'd have to use quite a few tabs to build up to that amount, but that's not a critical amount and you would still be creating bromine with far smaller a bromide bank. In pools, sodium bromide at only a few ppm is used as an algaecide and is activated by chlorine. So I wouldn't worry about it. The main reason an initial bromide bank is created is for a two-step bromine system where no tabs are used (where bromine slowly goes away from outgassing or creation of bromates) or for shocking (say to 10 ppm or more) when tabs are used. By having a large enough bromide bank, you ensure that even shocking produces bromine and does so reasonably quickly (i.e. chlorine doesn't hang around for too long).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"