Can You Help Me?

You can use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosing. First of all, you wrote in your first post in this thread that your pool was 24' (diameter) round x 52". Actual water height is probably somewhat less than 4' (48") which would be 13,500 gallons, but you wrote in this post that it is 10,472 gallons which would imply a 37" or about 3 foot depth so that does not sound right.

As was written in this post it takes 93 ounces weight or 97 ounces volume of CYA to raise it by 70 ppm in 10,000 gallons. 97 ounces volume is 97/8 = 12-1/8 cups so roughly 3 of your 4-cup measuring cups. Putting the CYA into a sock or stocking and hanging it over a return flow is a fast and easy way to add it.

Well according to my paperwork that came with the pool and even on the box it says it holds 10472 gallons of water. That's where I got that number. The depth is probably about 3 1/2'. I am 5ft tall and it comes to my chest. I just don't want to misunderstand and put too much or not enough.

Don't use the Intex book. Use the pool calculator. Calculate your full volume (measure the depth and calculate volume at the bottom of the pool calculator). Enter 0 in the now column, and your target of 70 in the target column.

Linnen has done this for you with the calculator, but you should absolutely run the calculation yourself so you understand how the calculator works and to verify the results. One thing is a little unclear, is 97oz by weight or volume?

I don't know then, the box it came in says 24' x 52" and holds 10472 gallons. We didn't fill it completely full. Probably about 6-8 inches below full. Anyway, I just want to put the right amount of whatever I need to put. I have battled with it for weeks now. Thank the Lord it's crystal clear and swimmable!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Better off putting to little CYA then too much. You can always add more. As for what Intex says to put in, they go on the low side. I keep mine lower than recommended but I also only have partial sun, NH heat and almost always have a solar cover on. Being in Texas you need it high so the SWG can keep up. How's the PH coming along?

Is it an Easy Set (air filled top ring)? If so, then the size is correct for the bottom, and thus the full footprint of the pool. 22' would be about correct for the top.

If you didn't fill it to the level in the book marked as full then the volume would be a little less, hard to estimate exactly. Either fill it to the point that the book says, or reduce the volume that you use in the calculator a little. Depending on how not full it is of course... again not exactly easy to guestimate with the bag pools but it'll be close enough. If you consistently find that what you add doesn't match what you expected it to be (testing after dosing will tell you this), then adjust the volume again.

I just entered your information into the pool calculator, I got 102oz by volume or 98oz by weight of CYA is needed to raise it to 70ppm. Which translates to 3 quarts 1 cup measuring by dry volume.

If you go to the pool calculator http://poolcalculator.com you can do all this stuff yourself. Since you're nervous about adding stuff, doing your own calculations will help with anxiety. Pool Calculator is your friend!

test pH before you add the acid. It may have changed since the last test.

You should be able to test the water to see if what you added did what you wanted it to do in half hour to an hour after adding it. With the pump running of course. Also test chlorine tonight.

I noted at the beginning of the thread you're running the SWG 11 hours per day. While that may be a little extreme, it's not too extreme for the Intex SWG and your size of pool. I have half the volume you do and I run my SWG 8 hours a day (pump 12 hours). It seems to be just about right... When all this is dialed in... you may still need to run the SWG 11 hours a day.

You could, but since there's been some problems keeping FC up you'll want to raise the FC to high target tonight (let's say 8ppm since the CYA is still dissolving) and then test in the AM before the sun is on the pool to see if it's still 8ppm (7ppm is ok too, but no lower). This is the OCLT. If you run the SWG right now you won't know if you lose more than 1ppm overnight.

Set the SWG and pump to turn on after you test in the AM, then run it at least 8 hours tomorrow. Test after it turns off, the FC should be somewhere between 5 and 7ppm. If it is... let the timer turn the pump and SWG back on the next day. If it is lower than 5ppm, you'll need to run the SWG a little more. I'm estimating I can get slightly less than .5ppm FC out of an hour of SWG run time for my pool. You have twice the water I do, so keep that in mind if you aren't seeing ~.5ppm per hour.

I just did the chlorine test with the hth 6 way cell and drops. My test only tests to 5, but it was the darkest yellow which on this test is high. The Recommended Range for this test is 1.0 to 4.0

Please stop referencing or worrying about recommended levels on the test kits. It'll only confuse you. Your chlorine should be between 3ppm and 9ppm for 70ppm CYA and a SWG. On average, you should see no lower than 5ppm with a SWG.

Dark yellow is good. It's over 5ppm. You can always dilute the sample by half with distilled water (not tap water, it has chlorine - or leave tap water out in the sun for a day and use that water for dilution) and then multiply the result by 2.

Since you've got the HTH 6 way test you could complete your kit and have a FAS-DPD chlorine test simply by ordering the reagents. You'll need:

R-0870
R-0871
R-0003
R-0013
tiny blue scoop - $.15

TFTestkits.net has all these reagents. The big TFTestkit bottles are the better value, but they also sell the small Taylor reagents. Either works (they are actually the same). You have a cylinder, you have the CYA tube. All you need are the reagents noted above and you'll be able to test over 5ppm and also for Total Chlorine, which is by far one of the very most important things to test for.

ok, my husband says I am stressing too much too! thanks so much for your help. hoping all of the this works and keeps it all in check! I am ready to enjoy my sparkling clear pool! Thanks again!

It'll get easier, and stress over pool water chemistry is relieved by testing and adding only what the water needs. Between a good FAS-DPD kit and pool calculator... lives a de-stressed pool mama. Promise!

De-stress by reading pool school a few times. Read the forum, the same techniques and methods are posted over and over again. In time it'll be second nature. If you were adding bleach daily instead of using a SWG you'd even end up being able to add bleach without measuring. Kinda like a bartender pouring a drink... you'd be able to pour a ppm by feel :~}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.