Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Builder suggesting a Two Stage Bottom for a Vinyl Pool???

Builder suggesting a Two Stage Bottom for a Vinyl Pool???

Hi Gang,
    We're approaching the final moments of our planning stages. We're doing a (primarily) DIY 18x36 IG, and a 20x30 auxiliary building. I'm outsourcing the footings/block foundation of the building. The guy who I am currently looking at signing the deal with for the foundation also claims to do a lot of pool work for the local pool companies. He says that they typically pour a base layer of ready mix 20 mpa concrete at 2 inches thick, and then the next day do a 1 inch skim/smooth coat using type "s" masons mortar. He claims that this is a more cost effective solution over vermiculite/portland.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

I was under the impression that the vermiculite solution was better for a couple of reasons: 1) the vermiculite "cushions" the vinyl and reduces frictions/wear, and 2) is water permeable preventing/reducing ground water forces from lifting the base, 3) possibly being a better insulator.

Anyway, I am interested in this if it is more cost effective, as there is a reason we're doing the DIY solution. But I don't want to risk future issues, and would rather do it once and be confident that it's done with value/dollar in mind.

Thanks for your thoughts! - John
    Assembly stage of:
    18x36 DIY IG - SWG - Pro-Logic P4 - Hayward Universal 12V LED - ClearDeck Inground Solar Cover System - 2 Skimmers, 5 Returns + 2 Step Returns - 400BTU Hayward NG Heater - 1.5HP Hayward TriStar 2sp Pump - 30" Hayward Sand Filter - 280sq/ft Enersol Solar Heating - Solid Safety Cover with mesh drains - 30mil TideWater Liner - - TF100 - 20'x30' Pool House/Dog House :)

New Lowell, Ontario, Canada.

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Builder suggesting a Two Stage Bottom for a Vinyl Pool??

IMO do pool krete only.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics