I recently bought a house with a pool and have been following all the great information available here! Last week I completed a week long shock process passing the OCLT and then bumping up to Mustard Algae shock level for 24 hours, following all the recommendations about removing lights and scrubbing etc. Pool was looking great: clear, with no algae in sight.
Then yesterday I noticed a light gray coating on the bottom of the deep end of the pool that billowed up when I brushed it. Now my water is no longer crystal clear, especially at night with the light on I can see lots of particulate matter. I'm guessing it's DE. Before shocking I disassembled my FNS Plus filter and hosed it down. I didn't see any torn areas etc, but it was unbelievably caked with DE, dirt and various plant and animal debris. Is it possible that the shocking process damaged the grids? I haven't had a chance to dump in more DE to the skimmer to see if the jets cloud up, or take the filter back apart yet. I also have not noticed any appreciable drop in filter pressure.
Is is safe for my kids to swim in the pool if there is DE in the pool?
My test numbers in case anyone is curious:
I live in North Texas.
Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.