another green pool and a convert to the BBB method

Apr 15, 2012
SW Ohio
my friend came over the other day and we was talking about pools and i showed him mine and he said he had never seen a pool so crystal clear and i told him about this site and told him i would help him clean his green swamp and he agreed to listen and follow my instructions. well i went out to his house and this is what i found

imagejpeg954_2.jpg

imagejpeg952_4.jpg

imagejpeg953_3.jpg

well i did a full set of tests and these were the results

fc-0
ph-7.2
ta-70
ch-100
cya-all the way to the top and could still see the dot.
i did not know if there maybe below 20 ppm so i told him to add enough to bring it up to 30 ppm so we would not over shoot our goal of 45 to 50.
and i told him to go buy a whole lot of bleach and he did....lol.
started the next morning dosing it up to 15 ppm fc per cya/chlorine chart.
and had him brush the pool and vacuum it as often as possible, and i told him he needed to take out the walk in steps because the algae would be hiding under and behind them, but he did not want to. this pool is a 33 foot round by 52 inches deep and he has a cartridge filter.

well after the first full day of shocking and brushing and vacuuming the pool looked like this

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0352.jpg

imagejpeg953.jpg

a big improvement, but he has no POP. i keep telling him how important it is to remove the ladder and once again he denies it.
i tested the cya and it showed a cya of 30 ppm which was what we were shooting for so i had him maintain a shock level of 12 but preferrably 15 and to clean the filter in the morning and evening from day 1.

Wow great improvement in one day!!!!! What a great friend you are!!!!!

As far as the steps....i'll be honest. I didn't remove mine either. I scrubbed best i could and when the water was clean (not clear) enough, i got in and scrubbed them. It worked. No algae hiding. Just my .2.

What are the CCs?

Wonderful pics!!!!

so day 3 strted off by testing his cya again and it was 45 ppm so up goes the fc shock level to 18 and a good brushing and vacuuming and shocked it to 25 ppm and once again i asked him to please remove the stairs and this time he did and he found a hot mess under them slimy algae everywhere so baask to brushing and vacuuming once again and shock back up to 25 and the pool looked like this the next day
IMAG0355.jpg
IMAG0354.jpg
this is where we are right now trying to clear up the cloudiness, have not done a oclt due to fc being consumed still, but as soon as we start losing less and less i will show him how to do a oclt and see where we are in the process. he is going to put a panty hose over the filter cartridge and another one over the return to the pool in the morning to try to clear up some of the cloudiness.........if there is anything i am forgetting please let me know......Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.