Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new Intex Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

new Intex Pool Owner

Hi,

This is my first post, but have been lurking for a while now We have the intex 22x52 ultraframe pool. It came with 2,500 gallon filter pump, and holds 10,472 gallons of water @ 90% capacity. It will be completely filled by tomorrow morning. I wanted to start with the BBB method, but am not sure where to start. Can anyone let me know what I need to do first...? Thanks alot.
    McKinney, TX
    Pool build in progress, 14.8K gallons, OK flagstone copping (sealed), IG Gunite/Pebblesheen (Blue Granite), Pentair intelliflow 3050 vs - svrs, Pentair IC20 Salt-Gen, 60 sq ft Pentair DE filter, 400k BTU Pentair (NG) heater, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Pool (1) 500w (1) 100W Spa (1) 100w lights, (2) Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl (3) 12” scuppers on 12” x 31’ raised beam, (2) Gushers on tanning ledge, and double cut spa spillway. controlled by easytouch 8
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...t56120-40.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new Intex Pool Owner

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need to put some CYA and chlorine in the pool right away. You can use the pool calculator to see how much you will need for your pool. A good test kit is essential. Look for a FAS/DPD test kit such as theTF100. Once you run a complete set of tests and post the results we will be able to tell you if anything else needs attention.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Read pool school (link in upper right of page) and get a good test kit, that's where you need to start.
    You can't manage the water without a good test kit and you can't fix problems without a good test kit.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP.

Start by adding 2 quarts a day of bleach until you get some CYA in the pool. That will keep anything from starting while you're getting things balanced.

3 lbs of CYA will get you to 36 ppm. I'd start there. Hang it in a sock on front of a running return.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone...I will post results soon. I appreciate all of the input.
    McKinney, TX
    Pool build in progress, 14.8K gallons, OK flagstone copping (sealed), IG Gunite/Pebblesheen (Blue Granite), Pentair intelliflow 3050 vs - svrs, Pentair IC20 Salt-Gen, 60 sq ft Pentair DE filter, 400k BTU Pentair (NG) heater, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Pool (1) 500w (1) 100W Spa (1) 100w lights, (2) Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl (3) 12” scuppers on 12” x 31’ raised beam, (2) Gushers on tanning ledge, and double cut spa spillway. controlled by easytouch 8

6. Back To Top    #6

Just tested the pool. I have the 3 way test from Walmart. Results are CL 5.0 and pH 6.8. I have the intex 22x52 ultraframe pool. Pool water is looking a little green...What am I needing to add to get the pH back up? I've read pool school and still am a bit confused. I plan to purchase the better test kit that's recommended, just can't get it right now.

Thanks for helping.
    McKinney, TX

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like you have algae if water is green.
    It's going to be hard to do things properly without a proper test kit, you need a proper test kit, it can't be stated enough.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

Test results from pool store...
    FAC 5
    TAC 5
    CH 50
    CYA 40
    TA 60
    PH 7.8

Thanks.
    McKinney, TX

9. Back To Top    #9

The pool store numbers look good.
    Without a FAS-DPD test you can't run a OCLT to see if its algae.
    Is it clear green or cloudy?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Very, very clear water.

Thanks.
    McKinney, TX

11. Back To Top    #11

Clear green...sorry.
    McKinney, TX

12. Back To Top    #12

:P Time to start the shock PROCESS.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

It is going to be hard to do without the good test kit. I guess if your store that tested before is close enough and willing you could use them to test your FC level.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Very clear green water spells metals. Does your fill source have metals?
    Did you fill from a well or public water?
    Ultimately you'll need to maintain a sequestrant level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Agree with Bama that this seems much more likely to be metals and not algae.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!