Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: child had accident in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

child had accident in pool

my 2 year old had an accident in the pool.. (not pee- the other one...) was wondering if I should take any special precautions.. it was contained in her suit but.. still?
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: child had accident in pool

Shock and try an OCLT. It should be fine, but just on the safe side.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Leebo.

Being a nurse, it was interesting to find out for myself. Lots of my patients go to public pools and such.

This is from the CDC recommendations..... It appears more for public pools, but it basically says ...shock it or add some extra chlorine that will kills most, not all germs, and you will be fine. Let the water circulate at least once. As long as it was not diarrhea and all of the stool was removed.

~~~Raise the free chlorine to 2 parts per million (ppm), if less than 2 ppm, and ensure pH 7.5 or less and a temperature of 77F (25C) or higher. This chlorine concentration was selected to keep the pool closure time to approximately 30 minutes. Other concentrations or closure times can be used as long as the contact time (CT) inactivation value* is achieved (see next page).
    4. Maintain free chlorine concentration at 2 ppm and pH 7.5 or less for at least 25 minutes before reopening the pool. State or local regulators may require higher free chlorine levels in the presence of chlorine stabilizers, which are known to slow disinfection. Ensure that the filtration system is operating while the pool reaches and maintains the proper free chlorine concentration during the disinfection process.~~~

Here is the website...

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/swi ... ations.pdf
    10,700 gal Round; Vinyl liner,
    New Hayward pump ProFlo 1.5....150 lb. sand filter.
    Baqua to BBB.....BBB is the only way to go!!!!
    A Cinderella story with a "happy ever after" ending.

4. Back To Top    #4

Like Leebo said, raise the FC to shock level and run an OCLT. If you pass just let the FC come back to normal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

thanx guys I was planning on shocking over night but just wanted to be sure there was nothing else I should do.
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

6. Back To Top    #6

I just had this happen not long ago at my sons birthday party. Little went in her swim diaper.
    I elevated the fc to 8 that morning, I normally keep it about 4.5 no issues at all, cl just did its job.
    My god daughter also threw up in our pool from swallowing too much water, did the same thing elevated fc to ~8 and no issues. I basically just about double the amount of fc in the pool when something like this happens and with little ones it will
    This Seems to work well for me
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.