Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace ailing Power-Flo LX with same or buy 2-speed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace ailing Power-Flo LX with same or buy 2-speed?

My Power-Flo LX 40gpm pump needs replacing. The seals are failing due to running chlorine pucks through skimmer & also shearing off a screw on pump housing whilst trying to open it up for replacing parts. (Newbie mistakes!)

Should I buy

1. Same model pump again, using old pump for spare parts?
    Hayward SP1540C Power-Flo LX Series 40 GPM - $187
    http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1540...I2CM07TKRNN9YJ

2. More efficient (?) single speed pump like this?
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP - $148
    http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1592...=19QVJM7L7B89E

3. Or a more expensive 2-speed pump?
    Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2 HP 2-Speed - $290
    http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1593...I3SZ2U3S12RVP2

Or a different 2-speed like the Pentair Dynamo? My electricity costs in Northern NJ are only $0.11/KWh.

Thanks in advance!
    Scott
    Scott
    ----
    8,000 gal, 15'x22' oval AG vinyl, Hayward Aqua Trol SWG, Hayward DE2420 filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580 2 speed pump, Raypak 206A Cupro-Nickel Heater, Poolvergnuegen "The Pool Cleaner"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace ailing Power-Flo LX with same or buy 2-speed?

Just watching the show here. I am interested in the answer. I have a similar setup and would like to know if a 2 speed would be better for me too.

I am going to let the motor heads answer this one.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I would go with the cheapest smallest 2-speed you can find.
    For a pool the size of yours, a 1/2 hp would be plenty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, Bama. I agree - my small pool only needs a 1/2 HP pump. It's hard finding a 2-speed that low. The Two-Speed Pentair 340204 costs only $219 for the 1-HP model, but the 3/4 HP costs $329. Does this pricing make sense?

Would some one be kind enough to take a look at this short list of pumps on Amazon and recommend a couple? They range from $150-$350.
    http://tinyurl.com/bq4gczq

I'd love to run at low power 24/7, and use high power to vacuum. Problem is I am having trouble finding a 2-speed pump that can run at the low power for my small pool ~8000 gal. I can't justify the cost of a variable speed pump. Does it even make sense for me to run a 2-speed? I've got maybe 30-40 feet of head, max.

Thanks again, guys,
    Scott
    Scott
    ----
    8,000 gal, 15'x22' oval AG vinyl, Hayward Aqua Trol SWG, Hayward DE2420 filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580 2 speed pump, Raypak 206A Cupro-Nickel Heater, Poolvergnuegen "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd go with either the Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix 2-Speed, 1 hp or the Pentair 340204 Dynamo Two-Speed, 1 hp.

Run them on low all the time except when needed for vacuuming, etc.. You may find that low works for vacuuming too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Bama Rambler. I ordered the Hayward Matrix 1 HP two-speed pump.
    Scott
    ----