Sand filter shape: sphere or cylinder

Oct 17, 2010
My spherical Jacuzzi TM31 sand filter srpung a leak and I need to replace it. Right now, Plast-Aid is holding the leak down but that won't last long. Is there any good reason to replace the TM31 with another sphere? That model is discontinued and the other spheres I have seen advertised are over $1000. I have 2" plumbing except for the 150' round trip of 1.5" pipe to the roof solar panels.

I am looking at this model as a replacement:
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S310T2-Pr ... and+filter

There is absolutely no reason to not consider a cylinder shaped filter ... if they were inferior (as it seems you may think), every company would not be making them.

Can you add your pool details to your signature? That way we would know the pool size and be able to offer suggestions on a filter size.

Thanks Jason,

I hope I didn't imply that cylinders were inferior, I just want to make sure I don't under-spec on the replacement. My current Jacuzzi TM31 has these specs.
31" / 500 lbs media / 4.8 sq ft filter area
Maxes: 50 PSI / 95 GPM filter / 72 GPM backwash

Generally, the larger you go with a sand filter the better ... the only concern being having enough flow for backwashing ... with a 2HP pump that should not be a problem.

There is filter sizing information in this post:
hydraulics-101-have-you-lost-your-head-t915.html#p6543

For your size pool, the minimum recommended sand filter would be 4.6 sqft (note we actually recommend double the cartridge and DE filter sizes listed in the chart).

The Hayward in your link is a 4.9 sqft, so slightly larger than your existing filter and should work well for you if you were happy with your previous filter's size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.