Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter shape: sphere or cylinder

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter shape: sphere or cylinder

My spherical Jacuzzi TM31 sand filter srpung a leak and I need to replace it. Right now, Plast-Aid is holding the leak down but that won't last long. Is there any good reason to replace the TM31 with another sphere? That model is discontinued and the other spheres I have seen advertised are over $1000. I have 2" plumbing except for the 150' round trip of 1.5" pipe to the roof solar panels.

I am looking at this model as a replacement:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S310T2-Pr ... and+filter
    24000 gallon in-ground | 500 gallon spill-over spa | SWCG T-15 cell | PS-8 control panel | Solar panel heating | Propane heater | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Jacuzzi 2HP 240V pumps (one each for filter and spa jets) | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Auto-leveler |

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter shape: sphere or cylinder

There is absolutely no reason to not consider a cylinder shaped filter ... if they were inferior (as it seems you may think), every company would not be making them.

Can you add your pool details to your signature? That way we would know the pool size and be able to offer suggestions on a filter size.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason,

I hope I didn't imply that cylinders were inferior, I just want to make sure I don't under-spec on the replacement. My current Jacuzzi TM31 has these specs.
    31" / 500 lbs media / 4.8 sq ft filter area
    Maxes: 50 PSI / 95 GPM filter / 72 GPM backwash
    24000 gallon in-ground | 500 gallon spill-over spa | SWCG T-15 cell | PS-8 control panel | Solar panel heating | Propane heater | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Jacuzzi 2HP 240V pumps (one each for filter and spa jets) | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Auto-leveler |

4. Back To Top    #4

Generally, the larger you go with a sand filter the better ... the only concern being having enough flow for backwashing ... with a 2HP pump that should not be a problem.

There is filter sizing information in this post:
    hydraulics-101-have-you-lost-your-head-t915.html#p6543

For your size pool, the minimum recommended sand filter would be 4.6 sqft (note we actually recommend double the cartridge and DE filter sizes listed in the chart).

The Hayward in your link is a 4.9 sqft, so slightly larger than your existing filter and should work well for you if you were happy with your previous filter's size.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!