Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad winding, 2 yr old 3HP AO Smith, causes?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad winding, 2 yr old 3HP AO Smith, causes?

My main pump motor began making noise a couple months ago. After I got back from my last hitch offshore, it was tripping the breaker after trying to start for 5 or so seconds. I could still spin the shaft by hand, but could feel a rumble like a bearing had gone. There was no moisture to suggest the seal had gone bad.
    Took it a repair shop yesterday, and they diagnosed a bad bearing housing and bad winding. AO Smiths warranty is one year, so I'm out of luck on that. I would like to avoid replacing this motor again in a couple years, so can you tell me what may have caused the failure?
    7x7 spa drains>16K IG, Gunite/Plaster, Compool 3600, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 350, Sand Filter, 8 Gal Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bad winding, 2 yr old 3HP AO Smith, causes?

Bad bearing caused overheating of the insulation of the windings if there is no leak is one guess. I realize that a 3hp motor is pretty large, did it replace something that was larger? Could the pump (wet end) be partially clogged adding an additional strain on the motor?
    Just a couple ideas.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

It does have to pull through a full skimmer sometimes. I'm out of town for a month at a time occasionally and the wife has her hands full with the kids. Your guess makes sense.
    Is there a more rugged motor available? This is an AO Smith B2848 motor for a Whisperflo pump.
    7x7 spa drains>16K IG, Gunite/Plaster, Compool 3600, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 350, Sand Filter, 8 Gal Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm pretty sure AO Smith is the standard, do you have a bottom drain, maybe you could draw more water from the bottom drain instead all from the skimmer.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

That's an awful lot of pump for a pool that size. Unless you have lots of large intake and return plumbing, Consider putting on a smaller impeller.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

6. Back To Top    #6

No, I have AquaGenie skimmers with no bottom drain. That would have been a good idea though, thanks.
    The motor for my Polaris went out for three months, I'm sure that contributed to the load in the skimmer baskets. Now that I have it running again, hopefully it will make it easier for my to keep things cleaned out while I'm gone.
    I found a replacement motor for about $375 shipped. Looks like I'll be ordering it, plus a new PS 1000 seal kit tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have not ordered the motor yet, why are you not considering a smaller motor and impeller? Likely would cost less than the 3HP motor and would save electrical costs.

For that matter, you could likely get a 2-speed motor and impeller for around the same cost as the 3HP.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

What was the cost of having the motor shop rewind? Maybe even add a second speed?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    What was the cost of having the motor shop rewind? Maybe even add a second speed?
    He didnt even consider it. Said he would only rewind 30HP 3 phase or bigger motors.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    That's an awful lot of pump for a pool that size. Unless you have lots of large intake and return plumbing, Consider putting on a smaller impeller.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    If you have not ordered the motor yet, why are you not considering a smaller motor and impeller? Likely would cost less than the 3HP motor and would save electrical costs.

For that matter, you could likely get a 2-speed motor and impeller for around the same cost as the 3HP.
    OK, you guys have my attention. I figured they used 3HP in order to have enough flow/pressure for the spillover spa.
    Can a compool 3600 control a 2 speed pump?
    What info can I get you guys to help me decide if I can downsize and/or go with a 2 speed motor?
    Thanks for all your help.

11. Back To Top    #11

Did not place the order today. Still considering my options, any input would be appreciated.