Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: sand filter valve question...

sand filter valve question...

Hi there everyone, i have a white cloudy pool with a little dust in shallow end. On a sta-rite 2 piece sand filter Slide push/pull valve how would i rinse or vacuum to waste, flock first right? (Or is flock only for green water?) PG replaced pump with a bigger one i when they installed solar, could that be part of the cloudy issue? Too powerful pump pushing through sand? Hey thanks for any ideas.

Re: sand filter valve question...

With a slide valve there's usually no waste function. You could disconnect the pump discharge and plumb it to the waste line.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

ok, so would it be as easy as cutting after pump, put a diverter valve(red kind at lowes? then just have pvc run along side of filter backwash pipe?
    I have never glued pvc b4, im sure you tube has some vids on it. Hey thanks bama!

I didn't find a diverter valve on the Lowes but if it's a 3-way valve it'll work ok. I'd use a Jandy type valve instead because they have lower head loss than the standard PVC valves you can buy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.