Replace vinyl liner when closing -- or wait until opening?

allsbp

Jun 8, 2012
Liner is at least 14 years old -- has tear in corner and many discolorations -- will have to get some bids on replacing and wondering your recommendation of best time to do it?
Thanks -- still learning a lot TFP!

15,000 gallon AGP
Missouri
Vinyl over concrete walls (I think)

Re: Replace vinyl liner when closing -- or wait until openin

I'd wait until opening time. Save a few bucks by not needing to winterize the water this year (who cares if it turns green) as well as get a head start on opening next year.

I guess I would not change the liner to immediately "not use" it. i would think I would want to change it about a month before I wanted to open the pool. It seems like it would be a slower time for the installer if you had it done and they might even give you a better price. You could even see about getting the installer to quote now but discuss installing in the Feb-May range.

I don't where you are... Also, you say you have an above ground pool with concrete walls and hard corners?

I just changed the liner on my pool, steel walls, vinyl liner. It took more time on prep than actually installing. My cost was less than $200 total.

IMG_4836.JPG

Sorry -- yes I got my initials wrong -- it is inground -- we are in Jefferson City MO -- and thanks everyone for the advice/comments.

IMO change it now rather than later. Granted you will save til spring, but it could cause other issues by waiting. As it is now you won't have any issues with ground water coming in. Also it really should have 70 degrees to install a liner. Generally early spring in Missouri isn't in that temp range. Thats my opinion after 30 years of working with vinyl.

I'm doing mine now rather then wait for Spring
Up here we have to worry about freezing & forcing the walls in
IMO never a good idea to leave an IG pool empty
If you do not have any ground water pressure then you might be OK
My biggest worry with the pool empty is someone falling in & getting hurt

I'd also think Spring is the busy time for Pool/liner installations

Thanks all -- am leaning toward replacing soon -- and working on getting bids -- but need to get with it! After 100+ temps all summer, now it is down in the 50s at night and has cooled the water off so much we may be done swimming for this year already unfortunately.

I know I need to do my own research on this --- but do the temps need to be 70+ for 24 hours when you replace a liner?

thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.