Accidental dumping of soda ash instead of shock...

You can use the poolcalculator to estimate the affect on pH. Confirm the test after an hour and start adding acid to counter it.

Are you planning on following the shock process outlined in Pool School? We do not believe in throwing in shock powder blindly or for no reason. Why are you adding it? Do you understand the side effects off using it ?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Our chlorine level is at zero. We have to shock almost weekly because of the desert sun and heat. Our pool company left us a baggie of white granules after the initial start up a few months ago. She thought that was shock and when it sank to the bottom, she knew she did something wrong!

I would recommend reading Pool School a few times to get a better understanding of the pools chemistry.

You should not have to "shock" the pool every week ... we do not use that word on that way.

You need to realize that your pool uses chlorine everyday and you need to be adding it everyday. It is consumed by the sun or by organics in the pool. If your stabilizer level is in the correct range, it will help protect the FC from the sun.

There is a minimum FC level depending on your CYA level. If you stay above it at all times, you will never have an algae problem in your pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Welcome to TFP.

Just reinforcing JB a bit. Start reading Pool School and you'll soon see that regular shocking is not needed. Regular maintenance is.

How do you normally chlorinate your pool (Tablets, Liquid, SWG, etc)?
How often do you test your water?
What test kit do you have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.