Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Holy Smokes; this works!

1. Back To Top    #1

Holy Smokes; this works!

Just thought I'd say, that after several epic partial drains and refills, I have now brought my CYA from 200 to 60, and have fully converted to BBB. I must say I was a bit skeptical during the switch, as it did require quite a bit of learning, testing, purchasing new items, and doing things in ways that seemed very new and unusual.

But now: WOW! My pool is absolutely the most beautiful and crystal clear it has ever been. Tonight I turned the pool light on and when I first saw the pool, for a split second I thought all the water had been drained out. I then realized that it was JUST THAT CLEAR! I could not even tell there was water in the pool. Simply amazing. And amazing that the entire pool chemical industry is based around what are border-line lies that create a self-perpetuating cycle of thinking you have to by more and more **** as your pool ages.

Go bleach!
    Test Kit: Taylor K-2006
    Pool:In ground/Pebble/16,000 gal/Cartridge Filter/Pool Built appr. 1995-2000

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Holy Smokes; this works!

POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

3. Back To Top    #3

It really is absolutely disgusting that the pool store industry is permeated with liars and thieves....
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wonder how many are liars and how many are just ignorant and brainwashed into believing all the rubbish.
    Test Kit: Taylor K-2006
    Pool:In ground/Pebble/16,000 gal/Cartridge Filter/Pool Built appr. 1995-2000

5. Back To Top    #5

Good job!

6. Back To Top    #6

The world is full of liars and thieves, some even frequent pool stores and online forums.

I was in a pool store today and the guy doing the testing was checking the water for a regular... he was using drops and reagents and did the CYA test first (using a BlueDevil? slide tube). He even asked how the chemical usage was going and she responded they were using 1 gallon a day of CL (they sell 12.5% there). He was talking with a pool newbie at the same time as doing the testing and interacting with the regular. He was explaining to the newbie that CYA effected your CL and how much you needed.

I may end up back at that store! But, they are way out of the way and they want $16 for a case of 12.5%, I pass a shop that sells it for less on the way there. But, I don't know their sales technique.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

ecowolf:

Nice going!

You are about where I was a year ago. With BBB, it only gets better!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.