Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results!

1. Back To Top    #1

Test results!

I took a sample from pool to store today, these are the numbers they gave me.
    Chlorine-0
    ph-7.6
    alkalinity-170
    ch-210
    stabilizer-0

They told me to put in 6 lbs of stabilizer, yellow treat, 1 gallon chlorine. Then tomorrow add another 1 1/2 gallons more of chlorine. When it clears up 7 calcium.
    The water is now a green yellow, from black brown, so I'm hoping this will get it so I can see the bottom. Does what there telling me to do seem right? Doesn't seem like enough chlorine to me, but what do I know
    14500 gallon inground, gunite, cartridge filter, 1.6 hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test results!

They are close-ish if you can trust their numbers (I do not).

Do this: First, add stabilizer to get to about 30ppm (I would use 3lbs which will raise it by 25ppm ... you may not really be at 0ppm). Second, go through the shock process described in Pool School ... this requires you have you own good test kit.

There is not point in adding the "yellow treat" and you can worry about the CH (calcium) when the pool is clear.

The shock process requires you to continually add bleach to maintain a certain FC level (that is a function of your CYA level). You can not expect to just a a jug here and a jug there and have the pool turn clear.

BTW: If you read Pool School a few times ... you WILL know more than the employees at the pool store!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You obviously need your own test kit, but they aren't too wrong.
    I'd only add 2 lbs of stabilizer to start with.
    1 gallon of 12% will raise your FC by 9 ppm and that's ok for zero CYA.
    1.5 gallons will raise the FC by 13 ppm which is shock level for 30 ppm CYA.

Of course you're gonna need to shock your pool longer than 2 days.

No need to add the yellow out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much for the replys, been reading pool school for 3 days, I'm learnin. I begin the process tomorrow will post back on how it goes.
    14500 gallon inground, gunite, cartridge filter, 1.6 hp