Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: calibrate salt level

1. Back To Top    #1

calibrate salt level

I have a Aqua T-cell 15 and prologic PL-P-4. The salt reading says 2600ppm but the readings at the pool store are 3300ppm. This is happening on a consistent basis. Is there a way to recalibrate it or do I need to replace something? It seems to be making chlorine but gives me low salt when it really doesnt need it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: calibrate salt level

Welcome

How old is the cell? Reading low salt can be a sign of the cell ending its life.

When did you last clean it? Is there any scale on the plates?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The cell is four years old. I inspected it last year and it was perfectly clean. Should I clean it again with muratic acid?

4. Back To Top    #4

Seems like the cells have a lifespan of 3-5 years, so it just may be going bad. I think all a pool store can test for is if it functions at all or if it is dead.

Give it a good cleaning and see what happens. Maybe see if you can get a few more test opinions from different places to see if the cell is consistently reading low salt when it really is not low.

If it still reads low, you can raise the salt content until it is happy and producing and you can get more time out of it. But, then when you do eventually have to replace the cell, you will have to lower the salt level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you very much. Any help with nitrates in pool other than draining pool. The pool store says I have them and was affecting my chlorine.

6. Back To Top    #6

Nitrates are meaningless ... as are phosphates ... just buzz words to make the store money.
    Keep your FC in the correct range for your CYA level and there is no reason to worry about them.

Post up a full set of test levels and we can see where you are at.

Note if the SWG is not maintaining your FC level, you need to supplement with bleach or your pool may turn green.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

There is a way to attempt to reset level. Go to Diagnostic then right arrow & it will go through a set the numbers and you'll see salt level drop from 7500-6500 etc when it gets to your test level turn the breaker off to the PL4 then back on again quick.

It doesn't always work but it's worth a try.
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.