New to BBB, read but do not toally 'get' Pool School. 1st #s

Jul 15, 2012
New TF-100 results (wish I had known about discount for membership, would have done that...):
FC - 2.5 + CC - .5 = TC - 3
PH - ~7.1
TA - 80
CH - 420
CYA - 70 I think, this is a hard one to be sure...

Borates from new test strip somewhere between 15 and 25, hard to tell exact shade.

Water is perhaps 85% clear (been clearing every day since I started attempting BBB) and starting to get that soft water sheen and feel. Smells fine. Filter (4 cleaned Sunday, showing good. Last couple weeks had algae problem, now clearing up. Added 5 boxes Borax over the last week, one gallon acid, 4 gallons 10% pool liquid chlorine, probably 8 containers pure bleach.

How are the other numbers and advice? Brushing every day. Not much of anything anywhere except dust on shallow deck where pool cleaner does not go.

Thanks. Great forum. Happy to help when I can.

Re: New to BBB, read but do not toally 'get' Pool School. 1s

Ok... I am going to try this but you have a plaster pool and I don't know them well.

It sounds to me like you need to shock your pool. Your first step is done, your PH is fine to begin shocking. Now your next, and only need for a bit, is to keep your FC above the shock level for your CYA. Poolcalculator says you need 7 gallons of 6% bleach (or 3 gallons + 1 quart of 12.5%)

If your water is not sparkling clear you need to shock... and your chlorine level is at a point where you could lose ground on the algae you already have right now.

Liquid chlorine and bleach are the same thing, just at different concentrations.

Read through pool school's "how to- shock"

Plug your numbers into the pool calculator to see what your shock level is. Get your chlorine level up to the shock level until you have 3 conditions...
1. Clear water... all the way down to the bottom
2. .5 CC or less
3. Loss of 1 or less FC over night.

During the shock process...
Keep your pump and filter running 24/7
Vacuum and backwash as needed
Brush your pool... bottom and walls daily

FC= Free chlorine ready and on guard to disinfect your water
CC= Not so good chlorine, or chlorine that is already at work. If above .5 your FC level will suffer.
TC= A total of FC +CC

If your CH is really that high, be sure to keep your TA and ph in check to avoid buildup of deposits on your equipment.... but don't adjust while shocking. High chlorine throws off the testing for ph.

I just saw you were using 10% CL, that would be 4G + 1 Qt to get youto 20 PPM. Test your FC (only) as frequently as you can, each hour is great. Add the amount of CL the poolcalculator recommends you add to get back to 20 PPM (40 drops in the test).

Don't use any more solid chlorine as your CH is already high but that can be dealt with after your finished with your shocking process.

DARaynor said:
New TF-100 results (wish I had known about discount for membership, would have done that...):
FC - 2.5 + CC - .5 = TC - 3
PH - ~7.1
TA - 80
CH - 420
CYA - 70 I think, this is a hard one to be sure...

FC (Free Chlorine) is too low. According to the Free Chlorine/CYA Chart it needs to be a minimum of 5. Anytime you drop below the minimum you should shock using the shocking process and then once you pass you drop back to normal levels.

CC's look good but can be deceptive - you can have 0ppm and still have algae.

pH is a little low but shouldn't be adjusted until you fix the FC issue and perform the shock process and pass. Once you pass you will wait until FC < 10 and then retest pH and adjust.

CH seems high - particularly with other factors and the gunnite/plaster surface. You may be headed for scaling issues if not careful. This may require carefully monitoring other aspects of the scaling equation unless you want to replace some water or have reverse osmosis treatment which may not be available depending on where you are.

Do you use the Poolcalculator.com website to help you make adjustments?

TF-100 CYA Test

Take a look at this video. It show's the CYA test, including just what the dot should look like at the end. It's a hard test to get at once, but after a few tries you'll get very close to an accurate reading.

Thanks for the CYA test video. I think that I probably stopped pouring a little early so will check again in a few days.

Second answer: Yes, starting the shock process, not adding a shock product. Either liquid chlorine or bleach, which ever one is on sale! Thanks for the reference, I am sure all of this will make sense at some point, I understand somewhat now -- this is not obvious, even counter to what I have learned over decades, I will get it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.