New owner of Pool Builders personal home.

srm077 said:
MikeInNH said:
srm077 said:
As a moderator of automotive and home/garden forums- I usually try not to be sarcastic to newbie posters.....
Please keep an open mind, I'm sure as a moderator you know text can easily be taken the wrong way. Many people on here post via their mobile devices so sometimes things are not as they could be but these folks genuinely want to help. Welcome to TFP.

I've got a very open mind. The forums I mod are terrible to Newbies but we inform them of it up front. I tried to complete my due diligence before posting as to not sound stupid. Apparently I did not succeed. No prob, I actually do have thick skin. So, Basically dump a boatload of Bleach in (Calculated per the pool calc after I dilute the CYA test with tap water and follow the approved formula). Then sell the Del Ozone and pull the cartridge from the nature 2. GOT IT.

Just to be clear - when you dilute with tap water (or better, distilled) by half, you will halve the CYA in the sample. Then when you test it it will be "on the scale" and you will be able to double your reading to get a more accurate amount than "100+"

As for the "other stuff" you have in your pool - it works - for now. From what I have learned here, you can keep a pool nice and clean with pucks, bacqua, metals, algicide, etc - for a while. Using these things over time will add "stuff" (metals, sanitizer, CYA, etc) to your water that once they reach a critical level, you will not be able to maintain the water.

Adding bleach is not going to hurt anything, so shock away if it gives you peice of mind for your housewarming. However, if you keep using the set up your have, there will come a point where all the bleach in the world is not going to help.

In my very new opinion, here is what I would do if I were you. Turn off / disconnect the Nature and Ozonator. Add bleach, lots of bleach. 0.5 to 1.0 FC is low - way low, especially for a CYA of 100+. My CYA is 40 and my FC never drops below 4.0 - most of the time it hangs out in the 4.5 to 5.0 range, somtimes I hit 6.0 if I am adding at night, and I expect a hot day with large bather load the next day - by that is how *my* pool behaves and uses CL. All pools are different - yours will be different.

Once your housewarming party has passed, I would begin to swap out water to get my CYA to a more manageable level.

-dave

srm077 said:
...The pool is beautiful but not ready to show off yet. We are in the process of having a bunch of additional landscaping and hardscaping done around it to suit our lifestyle and taste so our backyard it a mess. It will all be done in 2 week though or the Boss (Wifey) will have their heads.

Then now is a prime time for pics. We get to see the progress!!

Looks like you were just having a bad day and maybe pulled the trigger a little quick :)
The group here is great and I have seen very few posts turn south and was a little surprised to see this one turn.
I am a tech geek and am a member of several tech, gaming and aquarium related forums, this is by far one of the more friendly forums, you won't be sorry for sticking around, do yourself a favor and listen to their suggestions. It will benefit you tremendously.
One thing I will suggest as some already have is ditching the nature 2, if it is a standard nature 2 like I had they have copper pellets inside them, sounds like you are a chemist of sorts so you probably already know about the issues with metals in the water.
Try to get you cya down to the 40ish range, will save you money on chlorine as the more cya you have in the pool the more chlorine that is needed to maintain sanitation levels.
If you have not already read pool school, it will teach you to use the bbb method on your pool.
Do yourself a favor... Switch to bbb and never look back as so many of us have. Will save you a ton of cash and you can still support the local pool store if you like by taking that saved cash and purchasing pool toys and such instead of expensive chem's!
Welcome to the forum, it really is a great community!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.