opinions are like...

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
and I need yours...your opinion that is. I am still struggling to rid my pool of copper. Jack's magic advised that I treat the water once and it would be fine if I did not introduce any more copper into the water. I have tested my fill water and it is copper free. After using the blue stuff, our hair remained green-free for about three weeks. Then, the green monster hit again. Because Jack's blue stuff is expensive and not locally available, I decided to try HTH metal control.

Here is where I need opinions. I called HTH and the man on the phone said to let the FC fall to 1 ppm. then, put in 3 quarts of metal control. Then, he told me to let it all circulate and not to shock until 7 days had passed. Because of what I learned through BBB, I am VERY hesitant to let the FC fall. Especially since my normal FC level for my CYA is 4-8 ppm. WHen I brought this to his attention, he said it was no problem because I could then (after the 7 days), super shock my pool. When asked why I couldn't just leave the FC at a normal range and treat the water, he said the chlorine would negate the use of the metal control and make it not work. Why would I intentionally ask for an algae bloom when I've stayed so strict about water balance thus far.

FYI, after doing the Jack's blue stuff, my copper level was still at .15ppm...enough for green hair. I do appreciate all the advice about how to get the green out of hair, but I really would like to avoid it all together. I prefer to tackle the real problem. HTH dude said after this initial dosing, I should add 4 ounces every week until the copper test is 0 ppm.

Your opinions please!

Copper (and other metals) can be insidious in a pool. Once the metal is in the pool, it is always in the pool unless your able to filter it out (rare) or if you get tons of splash out/overflow (that will slowly lower metal levels...of course as long as you are not adding more). My understanding is all sequestrants break down over time, so maintenance dosing is always required.

Just realized I did not answer one of your questions:
8corneflakes said:
Here is where I need opinions. I called HTH and the man on the phone said to let the FC fall to 1 ppm. then, put in 3 quarts of metal control. Then, he told me to let it all circulate and not to shock until 7 days had passed. Because of what I learned through BBB, I am VERY hesitant to let the FC fall. Especially since my normal FC level for my CYA is 4-8 ppm. WHen I brought this to his attention, he said it was no problem because I could then (after the 7 days), super shock my pool. When asked why I couldn't just leave the FC at a normal range and treat the water, he said the chlorine would negate the use of the metal control and make it not work. Why would I intentionally ask for an algae bloom when I've stayed so strict about water balance thus far.
Most of the better sequestrants are okay with higher FC levels (such as the Jack's), but the cheaper ones tend not to be. If you go with the HTH, you might want to use Polyquat 60 algaecide while the FC is low.

I forgot...how did you copper get high in the first place?

I did notice in the HTH flyer I read online yesterday that they frequently reference the "unstabilized" and "free available chlorine" chlorine levels. They defined FAC to be the amount of active chlorine in the pool.

This is the one I speak of. It doesn't reference unstabilized but I have seen others that do.

I guess what I am saying is HTH is providing accurate information but not how to get this accurate information... like in the section abut combating Combined Chloramines in the "Chlorine Odor" section on pages 21 & 22. The FAC they reference may be the amount of CL that is unbound to CYA and for BBBers this is frequently in the 1-4 PPM range they mention as being the preferred FAC range.

linen said:
I forgot...how did you copper get high in the first place?
filled pool with pond water that was treated (unknowingly at the time) with algaecide.

So, in conclusion, do we all agree that I can, with decent results, let the FC fall to my minimum (4 ppm) and then add the metal control?

8corneflakes said:
and I need yours...your opinion that is. I am still struggling to rid my pool of copper. Jack's magic advised that I treat the water once and it would be fine if I did not introduce any more copper into the water. I have tested my fill water and it is copper free. After using the blue stuff, our hair remained green-free for about three weeks. Then, the green monster hit again. Because Jack's blue stuff is expensive and not locally available, I decided to try HTH metal control.

FYI, after doing the Jack's blue stuff, my copper level was still at .15ppm...enough for green hair. I do appreciate all the advice about how to get the green out of hair, but I really would like to avoid it all together. I prefer to tackle the real problem. HTH dude said after this initial dosing, I should add 4 ounces every week until the copper test is 0 ppm.

Your opinions please!

Go back to Jacks Blue and after the initial treatment do the recommended weekly treatments. You may have to contiue to use it for up to a year, however splash out, evaporation and backwashing will eventually lower the copper level to where you can stop using it. You can expedite the process by doing some small drain and fills every once and a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.