Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Pressure down, Heater (no flow)

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Pressure down, Heater (no flow)

I went to shut off my pump, etc for the day.

Prior to turned it off I checked on the heater display to see what the current water temp is.

It said "NO FLOW"

I looked at the filter and the pressure gauge showed that the filter pressure was also down at 2ish. Normally its around 10.

Jandy LXi

What could cause this and what's the remedy?
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Pressure down, Heater (no flow)

I don't know if the filter pressure has much to do with it. From what I understand, the pressure gauges tend to break often.

But it still can't think of a reason why the heater would say no flow.

I hope it's an easy fix.
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you have some obstruction either between the pool and the pump, or between the pump and the filter, or something clogging the impeller, or a suction side air leak ... these could result in low pressure and low flow.

Does the gauge go to 0 when the pump is off? If so, it is probably fine and given that the heater is also complaining ... likely the gauge is fine.

You see air in the pump basket?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

When I turn off the pump the pressure goes to zero.

No air in the pump basket

No air coming from the returns

I have a UV and I can see the water passing through it, so I know (I assume) there is flow.

5. Back To Top    #5

I looked around google a bit and it says it could be a pressure switch.

I think I may need to make a service call

6. Back To Top    #6

The pressure switch might explain the heater error, but that would not likely affect the filter pressure being low as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    The pressure switch might explain the heater error, but that would not likely affect the filter pressure being low as well.

What would you suggest I do to troubleshoot the problem?

As a side note, I am not really handy so taking apart a pump, etc is out of my league

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you have any valves on your setup to see if changing the water path affects the filter pressure?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

It's dark out, so I will try and fiddle around with them tomorrow and see if opening one or the other makes a difference.

10. Back To Top    #10

Turning valves on/off didn't do anything.

11. Back To Top    #11

If you don't see any air in the returns, JB is most likely correct in that it's a blockage somewhere.

It might help if you could post a pic of your setup.

Do you have a lot of leaves, etc getting in your pool on a regular basis?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I am going to give my cartridge filter a real good clean and see what that does.

13. Back To Top    #13

The problem with that is that you're gauge is already reading low. If the filter was clogged the gauge would be reading high. Cleaning it is not a bad idea, I just don't think that's your problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

The filter pressure was really low so I took out the cartridges and gave them a good clean.

The pressure went up to 6.5

The heater now works.

I always thought that a dirty filter causes the pressure to increase.

15. Back To Top    #15

That is odd. A plugged filter should have made the pressure go up unless it's plumbed wrong. Or we're looking at the wrong pressure gauge.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Check the basket in your pump to make sure it's not full of crud. Also, try shutting your pump off, taking the basket out, and making sure the hole going to the pump is not clogged with stuff (pine needles, etc). Might try this too - when the pump is on, give the gage a decent smack to see if it jumps. Not too much - don't want to break the gage and/or hurt yourself. But solid enough to dislodge a seriously stuck gage. Assuming you are sure it is not sucking air and your water level is high enough, my bet is there is a blockage between the pump and your filter.
    20' x 30' - 3' to 5'
    Hayward 1.5HP Pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter
    Bud Light

17. Back To Top    #17

I checked the gauge on top of the filter so I am sure the gauge I am looking at is the proper gauge.

How would wrong plumbing cause the gauge to be all *** backwards?

I find this so odd

18. Back To Top    #18

The gauge only reads the pressure on one side of the cartridge. If the plumbing was backward, then it would be reading the downstream side of the cartridge and would lower when dirty.

Seems like a long shot, but your results are puzzling.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator