New pool, algae, numbers...

Jphan

Aug 1, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Been reading here for about a month now. I just got the TF-100 test kit after battling with my sound round of green pool. I was using the strips and a standard kit that just test chlorine and ph. Here is my info. And my questions to follow. Any help would be appreciated.

CL = 5+ (deep yellow almost a tint of brown)
PH = 7.5
FC = 6.5
CC = 1.0
TC = 7.5
TA = 120
CH = 260
CYA = < 20

I have a 24' round above ground. The pool calc says 13500 gallons. I added 48 oz. by weight of stabilzer (calc said 56 oz). My pool today is cloudy, a grayish cloudy, not white or green. The past 2 days I have been vacuuming it 2 times each day. If you sweep it with the brush, a green cloud will appear. It has gotten much better. Before when I was using strips to test, I had about the same numbers as the TF100 kit is showing, but I got algae again. I assume my CYA was causing me to loose my FC. Is this correct? I have being using Walmart 6% bleach to bring the chlorine levels back up every couple days. I assume I am close to the point of just maintaining. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Also - after you are done shocking - when dosing the pool, bleach generally is needed daily not every other day. I have the same size pool (different shape) and I have to add bleach daily to stay under the max and over the min Free Chlorine level for my CYA level.

Another question. After the overnight test losses 0.5 or less, what do I do to bring the FC levels down, I assume that 18-20, is not safe to swim in right ? My CYA is exactly between the 40 and 50 on the the C.A. View tube. So I have adjusted my FC to be 19, tested 3 times with same water and came up 20 the first time and 19 the other two times tonight. I will check in the morning but my CC is down to 0.5 now. I am wondering when we can back into the pool. Suppose to have pool party this weekend for my son's birthday.

No prob...we were all confused at some point! Overnight you won't loss FC, but you will during the day, sometime 50% or more of your FC. The higher your FC level the higher the burn rate when in full sun. You'll easily be below shock level with one full day in the sun.

Just checked the water this morning. The FC and CC are the same at 6 am as they were last night at last check. I will continue to check it throughout the day. I assume it still keep it at shock level until I meet the 3 requirements listed right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just an update. So the past 2 nights I have a loss of 0 to 0.5 FC and a CC of 0.5. During the day yesterday I checked every 3 hours and it never dropped below 14 FC. I raised it back to shock level each test with 6% bleach according to the pool calc. My Ph is holding steady at 7.2. When I swept it this morning, there was areas that would make a very small and very faint green cloud. However the pool looks pretty clear, still a tad of grey/white. I can finally see the white ladder clearly all the way to the bottom and I can see the bottom just fine. Can I begin to let the pool return to normal FC levels of 6 now? Thanks!

No, you need to wait until the water is clear. You can stop holding at shock level when

1) water is clear
2) pass OCLT
3) less than .5ppm CC

You might be able to add some DE to the sand filter to get it to filter faster. You can read about that in pool school

Ok so i tested last night and again this morning. FC loss is less than 1. CC is 0.5 and the water is clear. However the water feels greasy or oily. Stick your hand in and out and it feels like I have oil or sunscreen on. I can also see lines on the top of the water sometimes, almost like a hair looks in the water. Here are the full numbers from this morning.

PH 7.5
FC 19
CC 0.5
TA 110
CH 270
CYA exactly between 40 and 50 on the view tube

Any suggestions?

I have not put any algeacide in the pool. I was originally using tablets before bleach. I have only had the pool for 1 month. My wife says the pool feels fine to her and she sees nothing on the top. I think my hands were greasy from eating a biscuit this am lol and maybe I am a little paranoid. Thanks.

Jphan said:
I have not put any algeacide in the pool. I was originally using tablets before bleach. I have only had the pool for 1 month. My wife says the pool feels fine to her and she sees nothing on the top. I think my hands were greasy from eating a biscuit this am lol and maybe I am a little paranoid.

LOL - I'd agree with your wife then!

Jphan said:
Ok so i tested last night and again this morning. FC loss is less than 1. CC is 0.5 and the water is clear. However the water feels greasy or oily. Stick your hand in and out and it feels like I have oil or sunscreen on. I can also see lines on the top of the water sometimes, almost like a hair looks in the water.
That can happen when the Chlorine level is high. It's called saponification. Your hands feel soapy and sticky. Depends on the person sometimes. The oils on your skin react with the alkalinity of the bleach and start the reaction. My wife doesn't notice (she's Irish) but I do (I'm Italian). :) Pour some straight bleach on your hand and your hand will feel slippery and soapy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.