I am at my wit's end with my girlfriend's pool. Seems like I've tried everything and nothing is working.
Until this year, her ex-husband took care of the pool. This year, I attempted to do it for her. Full disclosure - I know NOTHING about pool care, so this is all new to me. And it's likely I did some things not necessary due to my ignorance. Talk about trial-by-fire!
She has a 20'x30' inground pool. I think it's 5' at the deepest end. She has what I think is a 1.5HP Hayward pump (square basket). Not sure what the filter is, but it is a DE filter that has no backwash/rinse controls - only a drain filter on the bottom. Up until this year, it's worked perfectly from all accounts. Or at least until I touched it!
No matter what I do, I can't get more than 3-5 PSI of filter pressure and the flow is ridiculously low. Up until last week, I really hadn't thought about pressure - all my work revolved around what I thought to be poor suction (which it basically is).
After taking the cover off the pool and starting/priming the pump, it wasn't pumping. I took the filter apart and cleaned what they've been calling "noodles". Caked with stuff and the filter filled with green sludge. But I cleaned it all. After that, the pool seemed to clear up pretty quickly, but tons of algea. Started treating it, but the hose between the pump and filter blew up in about 2 days. Went to Walmart (like an idiot) and got a new hose that blew in like 1 day. Went to the KB pool store and bought the correct hose. Problem solved.
From what I could tell, the pump was working. Water was being pulled into the basket and there was an output at the pool - although pretty bubbly.
Until it quit pumping. After some investigation, found the hose from the 1.25" ID rubber stub (run from the skimmer to the pool house) was cracked and leaking. So, back to KB and got the correct hose and installed it. Creating the next problem. Her ex ran PVC to the rubber stub and basically jammed the PVC 90 over the rubber stub - which juts out at about a 45 degree angle. Then PVC glued the **** out of it. When I replaced the hose, I jarred that connection loose. So, not knowing any better, put that back together "as-is". Again, I'm new to this and was looking for something simple.
We continued to vacuum because I didn't know at that time the pressure was low - I just knew there wasn't much suction and since water was flowing into the basket with what I thought a decent bubbly output, it must be working. We super-shocked and chlorinated the pool, and the water seemed clear. But tons of algea remained. The vacuum seemed to work, but poorly. Figuring air in the output and poor suction, I replaced the vacuum hose. No difference.
The algea continues to get worse, so I bought some stuff from Walmart for super-shocking. Something like 6 bags of powder - 3 each of a different type. Stuff was horrible. Laid a sediment on the bottom and with crappy suction in the vacuum, I was screwed - can't get it out. Then I finally got around to actually looking at the pressure and figured 3-5 pounds was not good enough. So, I took the pump apart and replaced all the seals. Put it back together and same thing - low pressure. I'm pretty sure it's working because if I drain the filter, close the valves, and turn the pump on, it pumps like crazy for a few minutes - sucks water in great. And then stops.
So, thinking it might be something between the pump and pool, I ran the new vacuum hose directly to the pump. No difference. Same lousy pressure. So, back to KB - holder of my bank account funds. Bought the hoses necessary to get rid of the PVC junk. I am certain those fittings are sealed almost perfectly. I really tried to do it right. Fired the pump up - no difference.
I have no idea what to do and I've tried everything. I thought about calling someone out to help, but I have so much sweat invested in this, I want to fix this myself for pride's sake. I feel like I've done everything correctly (although misguided at times) and it shouldn't be this hard. Now I believe I'm simply overlooking a false assumption - in other words, I probably saw something and blew it off as not important.
I did replace the seal on the pump basket, made sure the basket is clean, and made sure the skimmer basket is clean. Have cleaned the filter several more times because that sediment yucked it up. I bump/drain the filter a lot. After it runs for a few minutes, I crack the relief valve on top of the filter to make sure no air is inside. One change I DO believe I've made that is positive is that I don't see air coming out anymore. Of course, not much water either!
I do not see any water leaks, so I believe the seals and hoses on the output side of the pump are ok.
Sorry for the long post, but I'm in over my head in something other than clean sparkly water and would really like to learn more. As bad as it's been, I've actually kinda liked the experience. As I'm sure the KB store does as well. Pictures that may be helpful. Would be glad to provide any more info as required. Thanks tons in advance for any and all feedback!