Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner needing a pool cover

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner needing a pool cover

I am wanting to buy a pool cover for winter, I live in southeast. I have no idea what kind to get or what is the best style. I have a 16x32 rectangular inground vinyl pool. I dont know if I need one to just keep out debris or if I should opt for a solid cover (like aqua master) which looks to be about $700 from what i can tell. I dont wanna spend a fortune but at the same time I don't wanna half *** this. Any help would be greatly appreicated.
    16x32, 20k gal, IG, vinyl, hayward sand filter model S244T 24in, 1.5hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner needing a pool cover

I will soon be in the market for a pool cover, too. I've decided I want a solid, Loop-Loc style cover, but will watch this thread to see what suggestions are offered here.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a loop-loc mesh cover, it is great as a safety cover and keeps leaves, twigs, animals, and other debris out. The other nice thing is that since it is mesh, I don't have to worry about pumping water off the cover due to rainfall and melting snow. Similarly, in the spring, I rarely have to add very much water before starting up the equipment pad. The downside is that it lets dust and pollen through, so there is a lot to filter/vacuum out when opening in the spring. Also, the cover isn't perfectly flush with my concrete pad, so I get a lot of worms as well.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

When I have a customer ask about covers I recommend solid covers. You will spend less money in the spring starting up since sunlight can't get through the solid it generally won't turn green. If you start your pool before the water reaches 50 degrees you can get by with the mesh.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there a certain brand or type of solid cover you recommed?
    16x32, 20k gal, IG, vinyl, hayward sand filter model S244T 24in, 1.5hp

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Not really they are all pretty well the same. Just look at the warranties that will tell you alot
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics