Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water feels sticky? & pH still high

1. Back To Top    #1

Water feels sticky? & pH still high

Pool water is crystal clear (a little too clear as you can see some stains at the bottom of the deep end!)

I ran a test this morning, our water feels "sticky", for lack of a better word.

FC 6
    TA 95
    CH 250
    pH 8.2
    CYA 50

I know I need to adjust for pH, so far I have added 1.5 gallons of MA to little avail - thoughts? I am adding it through the skimmer - right idea?

Thanks as always!
    40,000 gallon in-ground pool w/ a spa inset. white Gunite, in-floor Caretaker system, Triton 2 tr-100 sand filter w/ zeobrite

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water feels sticky? & pH still high

The acid should be added in front of the return not into the skimmer. That being said it should still be dropping your PH. How long did you wait after adding to test it again?
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kco82
    I know I need to adjust for pH, so far I have added 1.5 gallons of MA to little avail - thoughts? I am adding it through the skimmer - right idea?
    Don't put it in the skimmer. The high acid concentration can do damage to the equipment. Instead pour it slowly in front of the return jet, letting the water mix it in.

Since the pH test tops out at 8.2, your pH was likely much, much higher. Add more acid, let it mix for 30 min, test. Repeat. pH is important, so get it in line before you tackle the other issues.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

As a rule, don't add anything to your skimmer. Even CYA I prefer to hang in socks in front of a return rather than put in the skimmer.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!