Algae problem + Calcium build up problem -> In need of help

Hello, I'm new here and need some advice..

The pool guy in my city has no clue what he's doing so I am taking it upon myself to manage my pool... to rid of of its nasty problems..

The pool has an algae problem, which is probably due to the high TA and other levels caused by using the chlorine pucks (at least I think so, because of what I read in the pool school section).. the pool guy used chlorine pucks and also maxi combi pucks..

I have high calcium deposits making it impossible to vacuum the bottom of my pool as well...

I am seriously thinking of restarting by draining it all, and cleaning it with a pressure washer and bleech and then refilling it, and shocking it with liquid chlorine...

What should I do? Which is the right way to tackle my problems?

Thanks

Re: Algae problem + Calcium build up problem -> In need of h

Welcome!

Your algae is caused by lack of chlorine. If you follow the pool school article on algae, you can control it easily.

Before doing anything drastic, you need to know the chemistry of your pool water and the water you use to fill it. Controlling scaling can be as simple as maintaining a low pH, and even if your problem is excessive calcium, it may be that your fill water is so high in calcium that a refill won't help.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Low FC will allow algae to grow. High TA will generally cause PH to rise. High PH promotes calcium scaling.

Triclor pucks are acidic and generally lower PH and TA...so it is possible your pool boy was using Calcium Hypochlorite, but that is just a pure guess.

Your first step to taking control of the pool is to invest in a good test kit so you know for sure what your water chemistry is. From there we can guide you to the road for recovery :>).

You'll want to purchase the TF100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor k2006.

I have AquaChek truetest digital test strip reader/test strips and aqvacheck trustest test strips

i cannot get any of the ones you mention here in Serbia (or in Europe for that matter) because they don't ship em overseas. (I asked)...

from what I learned from the aqvachek my PH, TA levels are high, Chlorine levels are OK.

All the drop based pH tests use color comparison. Really if the color looks pink ... you are starting to get on the high side. You want it to start looking more orange/salmon to be right in the middle of the pH range.

The Palintest FAS-DPD kit is available in Europe, as Palintest is after all a UK company, get in contact with them here http://www.palintest.com/contact-us.aspx?id=19 and ask about the kit you require, if it's just chlorine you want it is the SP300 or SP400, I have just ordered 2 SP-400 test kits from them (there is a minimum order value of £50 in the UK)

Stuart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.