Gritty substance

Aug 1, 2012
Good morning, it's been a while since I've been on. Bought the big test kit and things have been going well. Sorry I haven't needed you, but now I have an issue again....:(

I've noticed a gritty subtance on my pool bottom and sidewalls. They feel like sand paper and this is on a vinyl pool. I'm guessing hardness level. I have the good test kit but I wanted to start in the tight direction so I started here. The water is crystal clear.

Thanks!

15x32 vinyl oval
Michigan
1 hp, sand filter

Welcome to TFP!

That sounds very much like calcium scaling, which results when some combination of PH, TA, and CH are high. Please post a complete set of water test results so we can confirm that is what is happening.

Your Langelier Index is scoring in the region of +1.0, indicating a likelihood of scale formation.

You need to get TA under control by aeration. learn how in Pool School pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity, you will also need a substantial amount of acid to lower pH whilst you aerate.

pH of 8.0 is rather high, bringing down TA, to target levels will help you control this better.

CH levels of 250 aren't really a big concern, but it may well be a good idea to think about lowering your CH levels, as they are not required in Vinyl Pools.

Have you tested your fill water? It is important to know what you are putting into your pool, as this will have an effect on your pool chemistry, for example hard water areas will have high levels of TA and CH from underground water sources.

Regards
Stuart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.