Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer to attach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer to attach?

Perhaps a silly question from a 1st time pool owner, but how does the skimmer sock attach to the lint/leaf basket?
    It would make sense to me to attach it to the outside of the basket...let the basket catch the bigger stuff and the sock catch the smaller stuff. But the wife experienced one incident where, when removing the basket for cleaning, the sock got sucked off and down to the secondary leaf trap at the pump, and insists that the sock really should go INSIDE the basket.
    She notes a problem with this in that when the pump is turned off the center of the sock floats back UP and basically empties whatever it had caught.
    So what is the correct method? If it turns out to be the outside of the basket I'm pretty sure I can duct tape it on in such a manner it won't get sucked down to the filter again. Thx

2. Back To Top    #2

Gainesville, fl

Re: Skimmer to attach?

From What I have seen it does go in the basket and you place a rock a little bigger than your inlet so it does not get sucked down by accident. If I am wrong someone will come by shortly to correct me.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Re: Skimmer to attach?

The sock goes on the inside of the basket, and pump pressure will suck it down to fit like a glove. When the pump is off, it will retain most of its expanded shape.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"