Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just HAVE to share this...

1. Back To Top    #1

Just HAVE to share this...

Coworker was skeptical the other day. Said there was "no way" a pool could be kept clear with "just bleach and a filter". Told him I'd bring pictures, he said if I could take a picture that truly showed a crystal clear pool, he'd give 'this BBB thing" another look.

This is what I'm showing him tomorrow.

Taken with an iPhone from 12+ feet away. That's a half dollar 4' deep.

http://i.imgur.com/9kT4F.jpg for Full Res
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just HAVE to share this...

Heads or tails?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

3. Back To Top    #3

Turn off the circulation and I bet you could tell it heads or tails.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gboulton
    Coworker was skeptical the other day. Said there was "no way" a pool could be kept clear with "just bleach and a filter". Told him I'd bring pictures, he said if I could take a picture that truly showed a crystal clear pool, he'd give 'this BBB thing" another look.

This is what I'm showing him tomorrow.
    I love it. We can all post our pics to this thread so you can show him more.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

5. Back To Top    #5

You should have bet a dinner and placed a menu for him to read from the bottom of your pool.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

My avatar is a penny on the floor of my pool. I will post some floor shots when I get on the real computer. You can read the year on my coin in the full res shot
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

[attachment=0:13i0ce1r]after (640x480).jpg[/attachment:13i0ce1r]well, here's another to show him. BBB works. (Just added borates).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

8. Back To Top    #8

During the day with circulation and a light breeze one can tell there is water in the pool, but it's still clear:

But at night when it's calm, I can hardly believe there's any water in the pool (and that's a 6' deep end and we're looking at an angle so through a lot of water):

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Heads or tails.

This is 4 feet of water.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's a shot of mine at 6 FT, so clear that the pattern is the background to the reflection of the clouds!

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

11. Back To Top    #11

You folks are awesome! Should seem him today or tomorrow, I'll have fun with this thread.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

12. Back To Top    #12

The day this was taken my husband looked out the window and said..."The pool looks empty!"

15' Round Above Ground 5,300 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

here is mine
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

14. Back To Top    #14

Have fun sharing him your pictures! Hopefully he will really try BBB.... He will be glad you showed it to him

I'm with woodyp, you should have bet him dinner at your favorite restaurant!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

15. Back To Top    #15

Chem Geek, that is impressive clarity.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

16. Back To Top    #16

We have a winner!

"Wow...all those people use just bleach?"

"Yeah, pretty much. There's pH to manage, off course, and alkalinity like always. Couple of those folks have probably also added borates, but several have not."

"So...no algae stuff, no clarifiers, or anything? Seriously?"

"Yeah. Seriously. My pool is bleach and a sand filter. Period. The rest of them are like mine...we test our water, maintain a few important levels, and swim."

"Ok...tell me how this works..."

I've pointed him over here for reference (Pool School, Swamp->Oasis, etc) but I don't know that we'll see him in the forums, which is fine. He's opened his mind to the idea, and I've offered to bring my test kit over a couple times to show him what we test, how, why, etc.

As I learn more details about his pool, I'll likely post here or encourage him to do so should there be any tricky "conversions" to be done.

Thanks again, guys! This thread really made a point!
    -Gordon

17. Back To Top    #17

Good job, I wish I had my avatar picture in big format still. The only picture I have handy has the solar cover on it.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

18. Back To Top    #18

Awesome! He will be thanking you soon Such a great feeling when someone will actually listen to the BBB method.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits