Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: liner is slippery

1. Back To Top    #1

liner is slippery

we have a 18 ft above ground pool liner is slippery
    scrubbed weekly
    tested weekyl by are local pool store (by the way will not try and sell you anythig if the water tests ok)
    and so far no stuff bought
    how do i get rid of this

2. Back To Top    #2
    Antelope, CA

Re: liner is slippery

What are you using to chlorinate? First guess would be a very fine coat of algae. Go to the pool school link above and read about shocking the pool.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3
    Shrewsbury MA

Sounds like the start of something bad ,you should shock, here we use the BBB method, so some bleach would be in order and more brushing. Please tell us if you do any testing of your own, filter type, what your using for chlorine now, size of the pool in gallons. The rest of the folks are going to chime in and want to know all your pools store numbers and then tell you to start doing your reading in pool school and also to get your own kit. I prefer the TF100 linked to here, I have a half dozen friends using it now and they love it.

14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward Pro-Grid 36sqft DE
    Hayward auto chlorine feeder (offline:using BBB)
    Hayward AG Gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Yeah, a slippery liner is almost always indicative of an algae flare-up and the correct cure is to shock the pool. Like has already been posted, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School then, read "How to Shock Your Pool".
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

use clorine in ont bleach is more expensive
    have kept it at shock level for a week
    it scrubbed it daily and still slippery
    can't post numbers as i do not have a test kit just use strips
    pool store is saying water is great except the high clorine

6. Back To Top    #6
    Houston, Texas

Without current test results we can't tell you if have raised the FC high enough to complete the shock process. Ask the pool store for a print out of the test results or write them down. We need results for FC, CC, TA, pH, CYA, and CH.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    SW Louisiana

One more question, is the liner new? Like others have said usually it is a sign of bio-film from algae trying to grow, but I have also seen liners be slippery sometimes if they are new.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8
    Sault Ontario

Get a proper test kit, read pool school, buy bleach.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list