Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: WHOA! Mud in pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

WHOA! Mud in pool.

Hopefully someone can give me advice as to the best way to clean a pool that's had a bit of mud run into it. We had so much rain that it leached mud through a retaining wall near our pool patio and some of the mud made it to pool. There won't be enough to scrape off the bottom, but the water is mud-cloudy

Wait and manually vacuum? Run the filter, don't run the filter? Thanks.

Chris
    20,000gal.Gunite,with spa and waterfall, IG,Jandy DEL60 filter,Jandy rayvac cleaner. two Jandy (PLUS HP SERIES)pumps

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: WHOA! Mud in pool.

My GUESS is that vacuum to waste and then brush and filter.

Just a guess however.
    BTW - It would help a lot if you added your equipment info in your signature as this describes (pool-school/read_before_you_post) some filters are good, some are great, some are just plain terrible - knowing what you have will help a lot in narrowing the advice.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a "waste setting" on a multiport valve? If you do, use that to manually vacuum. It will suck it up and spit it out the waste pipe, sparing your filter.

If not, I guess you'll be manually vacuuming and likely needing a backwash or two.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I have a sand filter, multiport valve, SWC, manual pool vacuum, and a Polaris 380 that I'm sure won't be any use right now. I guess that I have to endure the look of the pool until the sediment settles. Ugggh

So, manual vacuum to waste. Got it. Is running the filter while the water's still muddy/cloudy a problem? I've got it turned off right now.
    20,000gal.Gunite,with spa and waterfall, IG,Jandy DEL60 filter,Jandy rayvac cleaner. two Jandy (PLUS HP SERIES)pumps

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh yeah, I forgot. 20k gal IG, gunite, plaster, tile at the water line, 2 skimmers. Thanks again for all advice.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by buck1s
    Is running the filter while the water's still muddy/cloudy a problem? I've got it turned off right now.
    Not a problem, I would run 24/7 until it clears up. You may have to backwash often.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by buck1s
    Is running the filter while the water's still muddy/cloudy a problem? I've got it turned off right now.
    Not a problem, I would run 24/7 until it clears up. You may have to backwash often.
    I gotta disagree with Linen, here. Let the water settle out overnight, vacuum up the worst of it, and then let the filter clear the rest. If you have good circulation, you'll just have a cloudy dirty pool for weeks. Filters are made for filtering floaters, not shovelling up mud!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the suggestions. Running the pump/filter wasn't helping so I set the valve to recirc and added flocculent. Then I let sit for 24 hours and had a nice settling at the bottom. I vacuumed to waste and got rid of the large majority of the dirt, but the pool is still cloudy. Is there anyway the filter can catch the rest of the flocc'd particles now? I have crappy well flow so I don't like adding water that often. I used much of the water that caused the problem getting rid of 90% of the flocc'd debris.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sand filters are just a little slow at clearing up the cloudiness. You could try a little DE in the filter to help grab the smaller particles.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Try skimmer socks. They really do work well for such a simple thing. I double mine up when trying to clear a mess.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter