Air in my system?

Jul 28, 2012
I have had a small leak at the backwash valve on my DE filter with no problems other than the small amount of water beng lost. I have ordered an O-Ring kit but now I am having a weak return, gauged by weak waterfall. Now when I switch the filter to backwash for 20 seconds and then switch back to filter I show a normal return for about an hour, again gauged by the waterfall.

My water is cloudy as I have been doing the back and forth switching for a while and have not replenished my DE media as I was hoping to remedy the weak flow before I added it.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum. :lol: If the backwash increases the flow, your filter is simply doing it's job....catching the junk in your water. As the filter catches debris, your psi goes up and your flow slows down.

Once your water is clear, that will stop.

Are you seeing an increase in the psi as your flow slows down?

I have noticed about a 6 PSI difference higher reading when the flow slows down but when I say "slows down" I mean it is a trickle. Normally the waterfall is hitting the pool at a good foot away from the pool wall but after that hour after I have backwashed it is literally trickling over the side.

At first I thought my pump motor was just too old and couldn't pump enough. But the fact that the flow seems to be ok immediately after a back wash tells me the motor is pumping enough. Wouldn't you agree? (small note: I must backwash for at least 20 seconds, any less and the flow does not return to normal)

Could the leak at the bottom of the filter be causing a pressure issue inside the filter? Could the lack of DE media be causing a pressure issue inside the filter?

If you have a bump handle on the top of the filter, it moves the DE around inside the filter and you don't need to backwash as often. It officially called "regeneration" or "extending the cycle".

This is mine (missing the plastic handle) with the red print on it. I move it up and down several times and my pressures go from 23 down to 14 PSI.

photo.jpg

Thanks Techguy,

That is what I thought you meant but I needed to be sure. I don't have that type of filter where I can "bump" the system. I did remove my lid and there was some muck in it but nothing like I expected from Dave's suggestion. Well I will completely clean out the filter and hose off the grids and put everything back together and hopefully it will work.

Joe, I really failed to mention what is VERY likely your source of the problem.......you probably have not been keeping enough chlorine in the pool and have algae in there even though you can't see it. In other words, your real problem is water chemistry and the clogged filter is symptomatic.

If you will post a complete set of test results, we can help you get that cleared up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning Dave,

That may be it. I have normaly been putting in a gallon of chlorine in a week and often wondered it that was enough. Any way, give me time to purchase a good tester and I'll get back to you.

Thank you,

Joe

Joe, It is my opinion that blindly pouring chlorine into a pool is a recipe for either too much chlorine or too much algae. I would strongly urge you to get a good test kit. It needs to allow you to check chlorine by drops and not color and CYA. The two recommended in the Pool School are excellent. You will probably have to order it online as most pool stores do not carry a good enough kit. Then you can use the results with the pool calculator and know that you are adding just the right amount of the right chemical to have and keep a sparkling pool. Good luck.

Thanx for the advice Txmat, I have been using the cheap "add five drops and check color" test kit but I think hyou are right and I will get a good kit.

As my user name spells it out, I am a real novice at this stuff and I greatly appreciate all the posts on this site.

Thank you all,

Joe

Get one of the recommended kits and post all your numbers and we can help you. While your waiting for you kit continue to do what you are doing and study Pool School. Pretty soon you will have to change your name to "Joe Knows".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.