Cutting pvc with miter saw?

kyle11

May 17, 2012
Anyone done it? I have researched online about it and there are sone articles saying it is effective and a smooth straight cut but it does not say what tooth blade to use? I would imagine like a 40 tooth plywood type blade for a smooth cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowe's now carries a ratcheting pipe cutter for PVC up to 2" for $38. If I had a plumbing job to do of any size with larger PVC, I'd get one.

I never seem to get a straight cut using the ratcheting cutters. They are smooth, but not straight.

When I re-did my pad, I just used my chop saw (miter saw), not sure what blade is on it, just the one that came with it ... no too many teeth, so a different blade might have been cleaner. Decent job, I just hit the edges with a hand file to knock off any roughness.

Thanks for your replies. What about putting the blade on backwards? I have read it makes the cuts smoother and some places say it is dangerous and can put to much stress on the blade.

Way too many other things to worry about then stress over this :)
I have used my chop saw to cut PVC many times, it's not an issue. Just spin the blade up to full rpm then cut the pipe.
At the rpm's these things turn Blade don't matter that much as its will just cut the material away and leave a clean edge

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kyle11 said:
Anyone done it? I have researched online about it and there are sone articles saying it is effective and a smooth straight cut but it does not say what tooth blade to use? I would imagine like a 40 tooth plywood type blade for a smooth cut?

Works great, I use this method all the time! "regular blade"...

CUTiger78 said:
Honey, it's PVC. Anything'll cut it. Are ya looking for some specific, besides the fact that, yes, you can cut PVC with a mitre saw?

Just looking for the best/fastest way to cut pvc that will give me the straightest burrless cut. Never worked with pvc above 1 inch and most cutters for 2 and 2 1/2 pvc has either crappy reviews or are $150. I have a miter saw so was wondering if that would do as good of a job as a $150 ratcheting cutter.

I use my miter saw for all my pvc cuts. It will leave one little burr where the last part the blade is. Take a knife or file and cut it off. Use whatever blade you have on there it won't make any difference. When you put a piece of pipe into a fitting it doesn't seal with the end it seals on the surface so who cares if it is a little rough on the end. I agree with highlandreef.

I use a Reed ratcheting cutter and would drive a long way to get another one if anything happened to it. They are the best way to cut. The only time I don't get a straight cut is when I am trying to shorten a pipe by less than 3/4". Outside of that no complaints.

kyle11 said:
Just looking for the best/fastest way to cut pvc that will give me the straightest burrless cut.
Aaah, I got it. Didn't mean to sound offensive and I see that others have responded with the details you were looking for.

Please don't let my reply be off-putting as there are lots of folks here on TFP willing to share their valuable experience.

Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.