Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting pvc with miter saw?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cutting pvc with miter saw?

Anyone done it? I have researched online about it and there are sone articles saying it is effective and a smooth straight cut but it does not say what tooth blade to use? I would imagine like a 40 tooth plywood type blade for a smooth cut?

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cutting pvc with miter saw?

Plywood blade would be good. I've cut PVC with just about everything under the sun, from a small tooth metal saw to a Sawzall with a wood blade on it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

What blade causes less burring IYO?

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

4. Back To Top    #4

Lowe's now carries a ratcheting pipe cutter for PVC up to 2" for $38. If I had a plumbing job to do of any size with larger PVC, I'd get one.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I have seen it but it didnt have good reviews online. Have you used it?

6. Back To Top    #6

I never seem to get a straight cut using the ratcheting cutters. They are smooth, but not straight.

When I re-did my pad, I just used my chop saw (miter saw), not sure what blade is on it, just the one that came with it ... no too many teeth, so a different blade might have been cleaner. Decent job, I just hit the edges with a hand file to knock off any roughness.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I've never burned PVC with any blade. As far as the burrs, a pocket knife makes fast work of them.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for your replies. What about putting the blade on backwards? I have read it makes the cuts smoother and some places say it is dangerous and can put to much stress on the blade.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would think I would want a 60 tooth blade for the smoothest cut. But I think I have used the "whatever is on the saw today" method also.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Way too many other things to worry about then stress over this
    I have used my chop saw to cut PVC many times, it's not an issue. Just spin the blade up to full rpm then cut the pipe.
    At the rpm's these things turn Blade don't matter that much as its will just cut the material away and leave a clean edge
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Anyone done it? I have researched online about it and there are sone articles saying it is effective and a smooth straight cut but it does not say what tooth blade to use? I would imagine like a 40 tooth plywood type blade for a smooth cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works great, I use this method all the time! "regular blade"...
    30' Round AG - Hayward 1.5 HP Cartridge - 4 4x20 Solar Bear Panels - BBB Only
    Installed June 2012 - North Central Connecticut

12. Back To Top    #12

Honey, it's PVC. Anything'll cut it. Are ya looking for some specific, besides the fact that, yes, you can cut PVC with a mitre saw?
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78
    Honey, it's PVC. Anything'll cut it. Are ya looking for some specific, besides the fact that, yes, you can cut PVC with a mitre saw?
    Just looking for the best/fastest way to cut pvc that will give me the straightest burrless cut. Never worked with pvc above 1 inch and most cutters for 2 and 2 1/2 pvc has either crappy reviews or are $150. I have a miter saw so was wondering if that would do as good of a job as a $150 ratcheting cutter.

14. Back To Top    #14

I've used a miter saw with PVC, and it never gives a completely clean edge. On the other hand the miter saw does make nice square cuts that can be cleaned up easily with a few seconds of sanding.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

I use my miter saw for all my pvc cuts. It will leave one little burr where the last part the blade is. Take a knife or file and cut it off. Use whatever blade you have on there it won't make any difference. When you put a piece of pipe into a fitting it doesn't seal with the end it seals on the surface so who cares if it is a little rough on the end. I agree with highlandreef.
    19000 gallon inground fiberglass pool
    Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S244T 62 gal/min
    Whisper Flow WFE-2 / 011511 1/2 hspr pump
    Aqua Rite AQR Pro SWG, T15 cell for 25000 gal

16. Back To Top    #16

Just be aware there is a certain amount of danger cutting PVC with any type of circular saw, as it can bind and shatter.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

17. Back To Top    #17

18. Back To Top    #18

for burring, we used to use a hand held "cone shaped" tool. pointy end did the inside, con-caved out for the outside...
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

I use a Reed ratcheting cutter and would drive a long way to get another one if anything happened to it. They are the best way to cut. The only time I don't get a straight cut is when I am trying to shorten a pipe by less than 3/4". Outside of that no complaints.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Just looking for the best/fastest way to cut pvc that will give me the straightest burrless cut.
    Aaah, I got it. Didn't mean to sound offensive and I see that others have responded with the details you were looking for.

Please don't let my reply be off-putting as there are lots of folks here on TFP willing to share their valuable experience.

Cheers!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast