How many hours per day do I run my SWG?

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
OK, so I've converted from Baquacil to BBB, then got a SWG after learning about them on this forum. The SWG is running now, and I am adding CYA and doing my best to get the pool balanced asap. I'm pretty jazzed about this summer. 8)
My question is this: With Baquacil, I had to run my pool pump 24/7 out of fear of the water getting all cloudy, slime-infested or otherwise goofy. Now, with my SWG, the SWG is wired to be on whenever my pool pump is on (of course I can set it to produce 0% chlorine if necessary)...so is there a 'ballpark' figure as to how many hours a day I should run my pool pump now? I was hoping I could cut back from 24/7, 'cause my electric bill has been pretty hefty the 2 summers I had the Baquacil and 24/7 run time on the pump.

The exact answer depends on quite a number of factors and is difficult to calculate. The best approach is subjective, if the water looks good try reducing the run time and see what happens. 12 hours a day is a good place to start and then adjust up or down from there.

Remember that your chlorine output is dependent on two factors, cell output percentage and pump run time. If your pool has sufficient turnover and filtration in an 8 hour run time I would go with that and adjust the cell output to maintain the FC level you need. I would not go below 8 hours during the summer and often you don't need to go over that so if your pump and filter is sized to provice enough turnover in 8 hours of operation (many pools are) then start there. If not start at whatever run time will give you adequite filtration and adjust your output percentage from there.

Edited -- Just got specs. on my filter --
OK, thanks. Looks like I have a Tagelus TA-60D from Pentair, so it shows a turnover of 28,800 gallons in 8 hours, and 43,200 gallons in 10 hours. I have a 16,800 gallon pool.
I'm fine with running it 10 or even 12 hours or more if I need to, but based on the above specs., is 10 hours enough?
(In other words, how many times does my pool need to turn over in a 24-hour period?)

Hello Todd
I too have a TA60 been using it for nearly 4 weeks 8 hours a day and it is keeping the pool nice and clean. But remember run time also depends on the right amount chlorine coming from your swg, so you have to keep a close eye on that for a week or two. Then you adjust SWG according to you CH level. sometimes if a lot of people are swimming in the pool i turn it up [SWG] to comensate for the heavy load. [check CHL everyday i did it twice daily for a week, to make sure there was enough in the morning. i run mine 2pm till 10pm]. After awhile you will know what level to leave it at.
Happy swims
Frank 8)

ps From what i have read here 1 to 2 turnovers a day is good so 28000 gal sounds fine, it's working for me.

tnthudson said:
Edited -- Just got specs. on my filter --
OK, thanks. Looks like I have a Tagelus TA-60D from Pentair, so it shows a turnover of 28,800 gallons in 8 hours, and 43,200 gallons in 10 hours. I have a 16,800 gallon pool.
I'm fine with running it 10 or even 12 hours or more if I need to, but based on the above specs., is 10 hours enough?
(In other words, how many times does my pool need to turn over in a 24-hour period?)

Your filter has very little to do with your turnover rate. Your turnover is determined by the pump's flow rate produced which in turn is determined by the head loss in your plumbing system due to said flow rate. Details of how to calculate your turnover rate can be found here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.