Newbie - How far down to install new thru-the-wall skimmer?

Jul 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hi all,

I just received my new skimmer, cove molding and SandPro 50 Filter System.

I want to make sure that I get it in the right place. I remember reading somewhere on the thread that it should go just below the top, is that correct?

Also, thanks to everyone that has posted pics of hard plumbing the Intex pools! :-D I can't wait to put it all together.

Re: Newbie - How far down to install new thru-the-wall skimm

<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool/spa. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

I installed mine so that the water line was about halfway up the skimmer face. It ended up being just below the rim. I run my pool a little shallow, so the kiddos can touch bottom.

Attachments

• DSC_8928.JPG
    DSC_8928.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 151

<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool/spa. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

I drained it to about 1/2" below where the skimmer was going. Used a sharpie to mark the inside of the skimmer plate. Cut it *slowly* with a new razor on the *outside* of the marker line. Put the gasket on, held the skimmer on, screwed the screws down snug, then went back and tightened 'em all down as tight as I could by hand. Kind of like tire lugs, alternating screws as i went around.

I had a 'butterfly' gasket too, I read some bad threads about 'butterfly' gaskets. No problems for me.

*love* this Mod, the sand filter/larger pump really kicks butt...

still haven't hard plumbed it, but it's on the list....

Good Luck!!

Thanks for the info! I need to take pics of the upgrades. My daughter and I cut the pool this weekend and installed the skimmer and larger 'eyeball' return. The coping was easy to install, I just added a couple of inches of water. We put the 'grooved' side to the outside, to get a even set. We used the coping because we had a problem with small pebbles working their way under the liner.

The SandPro 50 Filter System w/1/2 HP pump works great! It took me 15 minutes to vacuum the bottom of the pool with the skimmer. Ran the filter for 2 hrs instead of 8 and it actually cleaned the pool.

Finished just in time for the heatwave!! :) I still going to add the waterfall fountain so I haven't hard plumbed it yet.

breesmom1 said:
waterfall fountain so I haven't hard plumbed it yet.

sweet!! I want a water feature too, make sure you post up pics! got any design drawings?? I'm working on one, just don't know where to start....

I've been thinking about using the original pump for the fountain and add a return/shutoff to the skimmer line. That way I don't have to go through the filtration system. That's how I did the waterfall for my pond, it so easy to maintain that way.

Here's some pics of the pool set up. My 2 yr. old grandson loves rinsing his feet in the waiting pool before going in the 'big' pool :) Still working on what I'm going to put around the pool.

I'm planning on using the original pump for the waterfall. I'm thinking about using the old skimmer whole for the inline and the having the waterfall completely external. I don't want to worry about the kids playing with it when it's not on.

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 102
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 102
  • skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 103
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.