Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Patch job looks to be loosening at edges-How to proceed?????

1. Back To Top    #1

Patch job looks to be loosening at edges-How to proceed?????

After I had a ladder snap in half, and put multiple holes in a 1-2 month old liner, I had raced off to get patch kit. Got kit, read instructions very quickly, and slapped patches in place. All has been well for about a month now.
    Had I had my wits about me-I would have rounded off edges of patch material, and put smaller individual patches on each hole. The way it went down is I cut big square patches for each side of where ladder dug into the liner, slathered the patch with glue and I covered 2-3 holes on each side with one big patch. These patches are starting to come off at the edges.
    Does anyone have advice on how to proceed?
    Should I leave well enough alone while patches still hold? Put an even bigger patch over existing ones? Try to remove current patch(es) and replace with smaller individual rounded patches?

Never thought I'd be asking for this type of advice, seeing as we only enjoyed our NEW pool for 2 days before the ladder snapped. Now I'm a freak about the kids going anywhere near where the patches are located. Being new to all this, I thought I might ask others who have lived thru this sort of thing.
    24x54 Sharkline Matrix
    Hayward 1 hp Powermax single speed pump
    Hayward ec50ac DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Patch job looks to be loosening at edges-How to proceed?

I think I would just keep an eye on them for now, instruct the kids not to mess with them, and keep a patch kit handy at home.

If you go pulling on them, you will just cause more damage. I don't know from experience, but have read stories here about it.

I feel for you in worrying about a patch. We just put our first patch on yesterday and then went swimming in the pool with our son later in the day. I can't tell you how many times I swam over the patch to look at it again ... I think it will be an on-going place I will double check every time I'm in the pool.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I am no expert -- but have lived through a hole.

We put our pool up in 2007 and hadn't had any holes until about a month ago. We notice a small hole near the water line. It was on a Sunday and our local pool store was closed so lectured everyone not to bother it, not to touch it, .

Monday morning I made a beeline for the pool store and purchased the patch kit (come to find out Menard's had the same patch kit but $3.00 less ). I read the directions and cut the patch, but didn't round the corners and made the patch pretty big. I patched it. It didn't last but a couple of hours. . Okay so I made the patch a little smaller, but not much and rounded the corners, put the glue on and patched. That one lasted till the next day. I found it floating in the water. So I decided to cut the patch just a little bigger than the hole, rounded the corners as per directions, but instead of using the glue sparingly as per directions I used a lot of glue and held it in place for several mintures before releasing it. It has held. I have noticed that it has come a little loose on the bottom where the water hits it, but will leave it alone until it comes off by itself. For me I think the glue was the key -- you must get enough on it to actually bond it and using it sparingly didn't get it.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

This thread discusses patches and which are best for the edges

http://www.troublefreepool.com/hole-...lp-t35829.html
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I lean torwards leaving well enough alone, and keep an eye on it. If I do notice it starts leaking again, I guess I can only try to reapply patch. Just hopeful not to cause more damage trying to remove old patch where it may still be connected at spots. I can't believe a 4" X 4" patch would fall off all at once seeing as it has been on for near a month now.

Only thing that worries me about the wait and see approach, is if we go away for a couples days, and the patch(es) fail while away, as well as overwintering the pool.
    24x54 Sharkline Matrix
    Hayward 1 hp Powermax single speed pump
    Hayward ec50ac DE filter