Sanity check on my numbers

Top98Percent

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2012
MA
Pool is 1 month old and I just wanted to make sure I had a grasp on the testing/balancing.
Last night's #'s are:

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 110
CYA 30
CH 130

- I want to bring CYA to 40, so I have a sock with 22oz stabilizer hanging in the pool right now.
- Shooting for 40 because I'm going to have to use Trichlor pucks in 2 weeks during vacation.
- Added 50oz of 12.5% last night to get FC to 9.
I normally lose 4 FC per day with sun & swimmers. cloudy, no swimmers yesterday.
I'm in full sun, no shade.

Anything I should change in my plan or what I have been doing?

Thanks

Couple things...

1: Your FC level is a bit high relative to your CYA level, even if you get that to 40.
2: Don't forget that the trichlor pucks will add CYA to your water in addition to what you're already adding.

Good numbers! I would of held off on adding the CYA, as it's already within a good level, and your tri-chlor is going to increase it anyway, but you should still be under 50 with going to 40ppm then adding the tri-chlor. The chlorine level is nice and manageable at those levels also.

1 month and you have a well balanced pool already? Impressive ;-)

Hi flip flop,

Under 10ppm in an outdoor pool IMHO there is no such thing as too high for a CYA level, maintaining 6ppm FC gives an outdoor pool user a good manageable residual, with decent room for manoeuvre. There is a good argument for chlorine levels being too low versus CYA, but certainly never the other way, and that is a discussion for the deep end threads.

Regards
Stuart

I thought I should be targeting cya 50 for full sun pool, that's why I was trying for 40 with stabilizer then on to 50 after pucks. Maybe I misunderstood some readings?

Yes, the water looks great. Couldn't be happier. I'm so glad I found this place. It really takes the mystery out if lol care.

Sent from my 4G LTE Droid using Tapatalk 2

On one hand, your location does not demand a very high CYA, on the other hand, the DE filter will allow that to slowly drop with backwashing.

What I do is to calc how much FC I will need for the vacation (2ppm/day) then back into how many trichlor tablets that requires (7/wk). Calculating how much CYA that will add (10ppm/wk) vs the current CYA tells me if this is realistic. This does sometimes keep me running very lean on CYA for several weeks before the anticipated vacation. Sometimes if CYA is not low enough I simply have to get someone to dump jugs of bleach every other day and I do worry about him ruining work clothes with micro splashes of bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.