Intex pool leaking

Jun 14, 2012
MA
My six week old Intex metal frame pool is leaking. I noticed a wet spot on the ground near the pool. It is leaking about 1" a day, which is about 100 gallons. That is about one cup a minute. I have not gone into the pool with a mask yet to try and find the leak. I am worried that it may be a seam. Have people been sucessful finding and repairing leaks on the bottom of Intex pools. I will try to find and repair the leak and will just keep adding water.

1380ken said:
Have people been sucessful finding and repairing leaks on the bottom of Intex pools. I will try to find and repair the leak and will just keep adding water.
Yes, most use the vinyl patch kits. Finding a leak that small can be tricky, sometimes you can place food coloring at suspected leak locations and see if is sucks in while keeping the water (and yourself) very still.

I don't know much about intex, but assume if it's like other guarantees it would have to be a faulty seam to be covered for replacement.

I would see if you can find the leak and go from there. I can speak from experience that leaks can be difficult to find. We finally discovered ours after searching much of the summer for it. It finally got to where it was leaking more because I assume it had gotten larger. Hubby found it while just swimming in the pool after I'd spent a couple of times in the pool with food coloring scouring the bottom trying to find it.

If it's a small hole, and not a seam, it should be easy and inexpensive to patch.

I can't find the warranty on the Intex site. The cover the filter pump for 1 year but I am not sure about the lliner. The pool is on sale at Walmart for 229.00. It is hard to believe that a 15'-4' pool with a ladder, cover, skimmer and filter can be so cheap. It weighs 162 pounds and is shipped from china. Just the piece of rope around the bottom of the pool would cost about $10.00.

I would contact Walmart. It is likely they will make it right -- I think others have posted similar tales here and had success with going to the local point of sale in many cases.

I found the leak. I could see it from the top of the pool looking down. I wear glasses and can't wear them with a mask on so I could not see the leak from under the water. My eleven year old daughter fixed the leak with a stick on patch for an air mattress. This is just a temp fix but if it holds I will leave it on until I drain the pool in a few weeks.

I realize this thread is very old but it's still relevant for me. I just hooked up an Intex and there is a tiny hole leak on the liner of one of the walls. I'm not sure what to do since it isn't on the bottom, doesn't seem too bad, and the pool is full to the top (did not catch it at first as it's very small and it got dark on me outside). I just might swallow it and live with it. It sucks because my pool is nicely level, hasn't even been swam in and I've bought tons of stuff for it already, saltwater system etc.. yeah and as I said it is full to the top. Smh

What type of adhesive/glue are people using to patch (patches were included with the pool but no glue)? Hopefully there's a "wet" type that I can patch underwater.

TIA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, most use the vinyl patch kits. Finding a leak that small can be tricky, sometimes you can place food coloring at suspected leak locations and see if is sucks in while keeping the water (and yourself) very still.

There are several patch it yourself kits that surprisingly, work just fine with the water in it. They work like this video. It's just one that I found quickly. A simple patch kit at our Lowe's is $4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7B7etS6DE
I found this Henry Wet Patch roof cement in my garage do you guys think it would work as an adhesive (I have the patches seen in the video they came with my pool)? If not I'll just go into Lowes, thoughts?

2qsmhb6.jpg

If it is the pool wall couldn't you patch it from the outside?
That's what I was going to do well both sides. I can stick my hand on the inside of the wall and plug the leak with my finger, so patch the outside, then do the inside.

I just need to find a good recommended adhesive/glue that folks have used with success. There aren't many I come across searching online most reviews are decent to bad.

That Henry Patch is actually made for asphalt roofing. I dont think I would use it on my vinyl pool.
Someone in the thread up above suggested one of those peel the back off patches like for an air mattress. A patch on the inside would be better than the outside. The pressure of the water will push the patch into the hole.

That Henry Patch is actually made for asphalt roofing. I dont think I would use it on my vinyl pool.
Someone in the thread up above suggested one of those peel the back off patches like for an air mattress. A patch on the inside would be better than the outside. The pressure of the water will push the patch into the hole.

Rick,
I stayed away from it thanks for the advice went to my local hardware store picked up a pool patch kit and patched it from both sides. It's holding up so far we'll see how it goes. Now to balancing everything saltwater system is almost ready to be kicked on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.