Ultraflex 2/ Caretaker 99

tomfinch

Mar 11, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I have the Ultraflex 2 version of the caretaker in floor system. Tonight I noticed the red LED light on the UltraFlex 2 box blinks nonstop and the stations are not rotating. There is nothing in the manual regarding the LED lights and why they are blinking nonstop. I checked the motor and it is free of debris. I also checked the voltage on the controller side via terminals 1 and 2 (Brown, Green wires) and I am getting a burst of power every 15 seconds to the motor or the sensor. Pressure gauge is at 20 and goes to 0 when filter is off. Also, when I cycle the power on and off the LED stays solid red for 10 seconds and the motor spins and cycles past a station. The motor doesn't feel too hot either. I replaced the entire motor housing 2 years ago with new sensor, PCB and plate. We also put new gaskets under the plate at that time. All of this work was done by a great man who passed away and now I have to attempt a repair myself. Could this just be a sensor issue? Any help is appreciated.

I had a floor system at my previous house, but it was not the electronic version ... so I have no idea how to help.

Sorry you are not getting responses, but I think you have a pretty rare setup that not many people are familiar with. Maybe someone will eventually swing by that can help.

I will say that I agree with your thinking, if the motor is working and not stopping, that would point to a sensor issue ... but I do not know how the system works. Good luck.

Does it keep blinking when off or just every time it starts up? to obtain power readings , power must be switched off and readings must be obtained immediately upon power up while the LED is not flashing. Measure pins 1 & 2 and you should have 24-29vac. also try a jumper wire where the pressure switch connects in case that is faulty.

No the light simply goes solid for about 12-15 seconds when turned on then blinks. When the system is off the light goes off. I have good voltage readings at both boards and then at the motor I have good voltage every 15 seconds as it is suppose to.

I have the Caretaker 99, I also have this problem of the valve not rotating through the 8 different ports. After talking with the builder and several other users, I have found that I replace the sensor every other year. I also replace the seals in the 8 port valve when I do this. The seals fail and let water back into the 8 port valve and wreck the sensor. The sensor is about $55 and the seal kit is about the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny how this topic just came up again and I started having the same issue when I originally posted in here. Every so often the system will completely stop rotating between stations and I have to shut it down for an hour or so and when I start it back up it rotates just fine. I am going to put a jumper on the pressure switch to check that since that's the only part I haven't replaced in 8 years but I think it's the sensor once again. I don't have water damaging the sensor either. UGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Im running into the same problem as tomfinch is dealing with my Polaris Ultraflex II 8-port system.....FRUSTRATING!!!

My pool use to work fine 6 months ago, alternating between the different stations every 45 seconds and pool was being cleaned great. Just recently, the stations are not alternating at all and it will stay on that certain station for the entire duration of the cleaning cycle (about 2 hours). Now, if I turn off the cleaning and turn it back on, the motor will alternate to the next station fine, but again, will stay on that station for the entire time. The motor has been replaced just recently as well as the gears inside (the old ones were all torn up, so my pool guy says).

I dont know much about my pool cleaning system and my pool guy is very technically and mechanically challenged in my opinion. He is telling me I need to replace the whole Polaris controller box, but I think he is full of ****. The LED light flashes right when I turn the cleaning unit on. And to make matters worse, when the cleaning valves come up (3 at a time) they more so spray water out the top of it making bubbles at the top of my pool rather than spewing water out the sides to clean bottom of pool. I dont know what to do..........

What did you guys do that work? Should I ask him to check the wiring to see if the motor is getting power? (I assume it is since when i turn my cleaning system off and on it will alternate, and only if I turn it off and on).

Ask him to replace the sensor and seals? I am seeing this as a solution in the thread.

Please! ANY help would be great. Monsoon season coming to AZ shortly and sand will fill the bottom of my pool faster than you can say AZ sucks.

Thanks everyone

What color is your sensor? Is it Black or Grey? Is water coming back through the system where the motor is? Usually it will come back up through the center seal if it does and some water will get into the area where the motor is.

m4tt54 said:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your patience and my reply! Was at the hospital for the last 5 days for the birth of my first child!

But anyway, about the pool. I am afraid im still having the same problems :( Pool bottom is so dirty from not being able to alternate through the stations correctly. I took the requested pictures of the top of the unit and as well as a short little video when the cleaner is on. Maybe the problem can be discovered through those? Because I literally have no idea and I dont know what to do with it before I call a professional over.

I circled the stations with yellow and the red dots are where the pop up cleaners are. Dont know if that is going to help, but thought it might be useful to know.

Also, you had asked me to look if their was water below the round plate. Would the water be present only if the cleaner is on? Or off as well? The white hard water stains in there give the impression that water was in their at some point, but not sure. I will look again though and find out whether water is in their when unit is on or off or if that matters.

Here is the pictures and video! Thank you again Tom!

Video

If you lift the motor assembly you can simply pull it out and see the 20 or so screws holding the plate down. You will see water coming up through the center seal that may be worn. It bubbles slowly when you turn off the pump and you will notice it after the pump has been running during the day and when you shut it off you will notice a little water coming back up through that's center shaft seal. Check there at the end of the day for any water. It does appear in the photos you may have had water in there at some point but it may not be related to this particular issue unless you see water.

You have the old style sensor that is gray (part# 2-7-306) and you can order that direct from Zodiac for $30.00. You have the new PCB because it's orange, the old ones were black. Open the box and make sure the PCB in the box also has the orange ends. The sensor you have was only made for about 2 months and they switched to the black sensors (part# 2-7-304). The gray one uses some kind of infrared to read through the holes in the metal plates and they are horrible which is why they switched to the black sensors. I was going to tell you to first, make sure you don't have water coming back into the motor area and then just replace the sensor by purchasing it on Amazon. Just search "Zodiac 2-7-306" and you can buy it direct from Zodiac. Looking at your video, the motor could also be your problem. Does the motor spin to a different station when you turn the unit off and back on? When you turn the unit off and back on the lights should stay lit when it changes stations and then should turn off. It will light solid every time it rotates stations. When it throws an error code it will blink and then won't do anything. You may have to test it using the troubleshooting guide. Send me your email addy and I will email you the troubleshooting guide. It's 4MB and I can't upload it here. If it's the motor you would simply order that complete unit you took a photo of (part # 4-7-310) and it would come with the new sensor style. Before you order either part make sure you don't have water coming back inside where the motor goes. Replace those seals before you buy any new electric parts.

If the motor spins when you turn the unit off and on...... AND you don't have water coming back up ..... I would order the sensor and swap it out yourself. It's easy to do and will take you 3 minutes.

Let me know how it goes and Congrats again on the baby.

Hi Tom,

First off, thank you for all your help. I took a short video detailing everything that you pointed out as being a possible concern. I will check for water underneath the black plate where the motor is located for any water later today.

I was limited on the length of the video I could take, and actually my phone died during taking the video so it cuts off at the end.

Your three concerns in your last message, are ends orange in the PCB? Yes they are, so I believe that matches up good. 2nd, does the motor spin into place? I believe so. The video will show what exactly happens when I turn the unit on. The motor will spin very fast and the silver plate underneath the black plate that houses the motor will spin into place and stay there for the duration of the cleaning. 3rd concern was the lights. The light will stay solid for about 15-20 seconds after I turn the unit on, then start blinking after that, which you said is error mode.

Is the silver plate underneath the black motor housing plate suppose to rotate after the 15,30,45,60 second interval? I assume that has something to do with the changing of stations. I think my thoughts are the same as yours, the sensor. After you watch the video, let me know what you think of it and I will start buying parts after that. Again, I doubt its the motor because my pool guy just changed that for me costing me $300, but I could be wrong. And before I buy any parts, I will make sure the seal is not letting in any water.

Please let me know what you think of the video. The video describes more in detail of whats going on first hand (sorry about it being sideways!!)

THANKS TOM!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D I want your paypal email after this.

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/m4tt54 ... 1.mp4.html

Yep - order the sensor and it should come with the metal plate. The motor rotates when the board tells it to and the sensor you have stops when it gets to an opening in the plate (Hence the name Look Down Sensor). Amazon search for Zodiac 2-7-306 led me here - http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-2-7-306-Se ... ac+2-7-306 ....... You and I have the exact same setup and we had the exact same problem. Your system is in the perfect spot to work on too. The other concern I have is that you are getting air into the system because of the bubbles that are coming out of the top of the popups. I don't see any kind of water under the motor assembly so I would replace the sensor and let the system lube itself up and run for a day. See how that goes and let me know.

Definitely a "NO" to the PayPal email..... This site has helped me a ton and I am simply glad to help pay it back somehow. Now you can use this forum, fire your pool guy and eventually pay it back to someone else. Also, remember that I have a copy of the troubleshooting manual if you want it. I can email it if you would like so give me your email for that.

Tom

Thanks a lot man, you are great. I will definitely pay it forward and keep tabs on anybody in this message board who are having the same problems as we have had.

However, Im a bit confused though on the actual part that I will need. You said in previous messages that I have the old style gray sensor (which I believe I do) and that they made those only for about a couple months before they changed to the new black ones.

The part number Zodiac 2-7-306 searched on amazon is also for a gray type sensor it seems, the one that you said was older. Do I just need to replace the sensor to the same one I have now? Because I read through the old messages and it said that the gray ones use infrared and are horrible and that's why they changed them to the black sensors. Item link below:
(http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-2-7-306-Se ... ac+2-7-306)

OR, Do I need to get the black one Zodiac 2-7-304? Because in the previous messages, you had said the black ones are the new ones and work better than the gray infrared ones. Item link below:
(http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-2-7-304-Se ... ac+2-7-304)

Thanks again Tom for all your help. I will await your reply and final word on which link above I should purchase from with an explanation on black vs gray sensors, because the first link above appears gray to me from the pictures and the item title, could be wrong though :)

Also, my email is [email protected]. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.