Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sanitizer for indoor pool in the Olympics?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sanitizer for indoor pool in the Olympics?

I was wonder what they use? Can't use Bleach indoors correct? Salt? Ozone? Baquill?

Always wondered since into my pool 3 yrs ago.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sanitizer for indoor pool in the Olympics?

Why do you think you can't use chlorine indoors?
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

They are using a combination of chlorine, UV, continuous floc in the sand filters, and extreme circulation. One of the more entertaining features is the use of variable speed pumps that automatically change speed as the bather load varies, so that filtration always remains at optimal levels relative to the bather load. Another green feature is the use of the backwash water to flush the facility toilets. They claim that they are getting one micron filtration by using floc combined with 1 meter deep sand beds with specially graded sand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I know the pool in Atlanta for the 96 games was on liquid chlorine. Had a aquasol controller on it & they kept the chlorine at 10 ppm
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

5. Back To Top    #5

I always heard that you could not use chlorine indoors due to vapors during evaporation. I guess another myth?
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

6. Back To Top    #6

Haha! My husband looked at me last night and asked how much bleach I'd be using in a pool that size.
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

7. Back To Top    #7

I just figured they tossed a few pucks in a floater and called it good.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio
    I always heard that you could not use chlorine indoors due to vapors during evaporation. I guess another myth?
    Almost all indoor pools use chlorine. Air quality issues are a common problem with indoor pools. Chlorine it's self is not the problem. However, several chlorine disinfection byproducts (CC) tend to get into the air and can create serious issues if the levels are not properly managed. Outdoor pools don't have these issues both because sunlight dramatically reduces the levels of those byproducts created in the first place and because they tend to just blow away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

WikiAnswers says that an Olympic-sized pool holds around 650,000 gallons. PoolCalculator.com calculates that you would need 125 128 oz (US Gallon) jugs of Ultra bleach (6%) to bring such a pool to the 10 percent CL level that was used in Atlanta!
    18X36' 25000 gal Jacuzzi vinyl Inground Pool (1985) with resin sidewalls, newer Jacuzzi 1 hp two-speed pump and sand filter. Raypak propane heater, Rainbow 320 chlorinator (mostly use bleach).
    Softtub 220 portable hot tub.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Jason

11. Back To Top    #11

Info for the London Olympic Pool:

http://www.pwtag.org/researchdocs/Used% ... 0Devin.pdf
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

3500 GPM each in the two large pools.

13. Back To Top    #13

Waste from back washing will be used to flush toilets.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

14. Back To Top    #14

This link is about the construction of the Olympic Pool in London and how they focused on dampening waves.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"