Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella sleeves in tanning ledge

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrella sleeves in tanning ledge

So I have to figure this out in the next couple of days. Our tanning ledge is circular, 10' diameter. It is tempting to stick the umbrella right in the center but this actually would result in only half of the ledge having shade due to the angle of the sun. My thought was to have two sleeves offset to the south side of the ledge so that the shade covers the ledge, one sleeve to the east and one to the west so the umbrella could be positioned correctly for am and pm sun angles. How does that sound?

Anyone with sleeves wish they had positioned them differently? Any other bright ideas out there?
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Umbrella sleeves in tanning ledge

Our spa has a sleeve on each side. Works well IMO
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I want one on each side. They will be in the floor of the ledge. Good to hear that it works well for you.

I was standing outside today with an umbrella trying to find the best two spots!
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bpricedo
    So I have to figure this out in the next couple of days. Our tanning ledge is circular, 10' diameter. It is tempting to stick the umbrella right in the center but this actually would result in only half of the ledge having shade due to the angle of the sun. My thought was to have two sleeves offset to the south side of the ledge so that the shade covers the ledge, one sleeve to the east and one to the west so the umbrella could be positioned correctly for am and pm sun angles. How does that sound?

Anyone with sleeves wish they had positioned them differently? Any other bright ideas out there?
    I have three tanning ledges with a sleeve in the center of each. I should have moved them off to the side. The umbrella pole is smack in the way...
    Size 12,000 gal | Filtration Jandy 340 CL Cartridge | Sanitation Jandy 1400 AquaPure SWG | Placement In-ground Gunite | Finish Medium Gray Plaster | Automation Jandy Aqualink RS w/PDA6
    Pump Jandy 2.5hp 2 speed Stealth | Location New Orleans LA
    Heat Jandy EE2000t
    Test kit Taylor K-2006 (fas-dpd)

5. Back To Top    #5

I regret not installing more sleeves during construction. I have one on the center of each ledge which works pretty good but if I ever have another pool built it will have multiple sleeves around the decking.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Just a thought here... My advice would be to put umbrella sleeves on the deck. When kids (or adults) knock into the pole, it could jeopardize the integrity of the plaster/gunite, and perhaps cause a problem (leak) down the road.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by imrodee
    Just a thought here... My advice would be to put umbrella sleeves on the deck. When kids (or adults) knock into the pole, it could jeopardize the integrity of the plaster/gunite, and perhaps cause a problem (leak) down the road.

They are 6 inch brass sleeves. The PB said that he digs out underneath them at least 6 inches deep so that they are surrounded by a large amount of gunite when the shell is shot. So they don't penetrate through the shell so shouldn't have a leak issue.

I haven't thought about sleeves in the deck, I'm sure you could drill and put those in later but I will consider it. We will have a pergola over part of the deck eventually (hopefully for next swim season) so will have some shade on the deck.
    Blaine

My pool build:

8. Back To Top    #8

That's good. I'm sure he knows what he's doing! I having my umbrella sleeve put on the deck, next to the tanning ledge.. For the grandbabies and us old ladies that need shade. Like you, we hope to add a pergola by next year. We'll see.

Enjoy your pool!!!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

9. Back To Top    #9

I had the same concerns you did until he explained it to me.
    Blaine

My pool build:

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you figure out where you where going to put your sleeves? I put one by the tanning ledge,
    and one down by a ledge over by the spa. Now.. need umbrellas. ALWAYS something!!!
    Helen

11. Back To Top    #11

The two large black pipes sticking up are where the sleeves will go. One side for the morning and the other for the afternoon, hopefully works as well as planned!

The other two pipes are (or will be) bubblers.
    Blaine

My pool build:

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks like a great plan!
    Helen

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi, I am at the very beginning stages of planning a pool. I want to have several umbrella sleeves in my deck and want them to NOT be plastic, but everywhere I look it is a plastic sleeve...I noticed you referenced brass sleeves...where do you find these???? Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't know who the manufacturer is. I'll see if the PB will tell me...
    Blaine

My pool build:

15. Back To Top    #15

SR Smith makes some metal ones... but, they will need to be bonded.

AquaStar makes some nice PVC sleeves that have caps... in different colors. That is what I used.
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

16. Back To Top    #16

Okay, PB told me they are technically volleyball anchors and come in a pair made by Interfab. They do have a bonding screw and were bonded to the rebar in the shell.
    Blaine

My pool build:

17. Back To Top    #17

Blaine

My pool build:

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you thank you thank you! Do you happen to know the diameter of the hole inside the pipe... is it plenty big for an umbrella pole? If it is really big, how do you keep the umbrella in. Probably dumb questions... sorry.
    PS: They are really expensive, but I just don't want anything to crack inside and I love the idea of the cover not getting warped in the sun over time, so this is perfect.

19. Back To Top    #19

The sleeves are 2" diameter and umbrella poles are 1 1/2". I took a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe about 18" long and it fits snugly in the sleeve while the umbrella pole goes inside the PVC pipe. You can paint the PVC pipe to match the umbrella pole.
    Blaine

My pool build:

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by bpricedo View Post
    The sleeves are 2" diameter and umbrella poles are 1 1/2". I took a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe about 18" long and it fits snugly in the sleeve while the umbrella pole goes inside the PVC pipe. You can paint the PVC pipe to match the umbrella pole.
    I am having a hard time finding umbrellas with 1.5" poles. Where do you get them? Most are 2" poles.
    24k gallon 16x38 IG shotcrete pool + 5x10 tanning shelf, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Heat Siphon Z575HP Heat Pump (11.45 KW PV SunPower Solar), Pentair 3HP VS Pump 001018, Pentair SWG IC40, 2 Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 120v color LED pool lights, Pentair IntelliGlo 5G 12v color LED shallow water light w/300W transformer, Pentair DE FNS Plus 60sf filter, 24" rbb wall, 3.5-7' depth, TFT100 Test Kit, K1776 Salt Test kit, '07 Sundance Chelsee spa