Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bizzare stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Cinnaminson NJ

Bizzare stains

About 5 years ago I got a new liner for my pool. I have a metals issue which has since periodically stained my liner and I deal with it accordingly but I've noticed when my liner starts to stain I have 3 1 inch by 4 inch rectangles that stain first. They are perfect rectangles. Why would these sections stain first? I know its not one of the higher end liners and we weren't happy with the company that installed it. The questions not why my liner stains but why these sections stand out when they do. Any ideas?
    Southern NJ, 1 HP Haward Pump, 16x 32 dimensions, 21,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Bizzare stains

Strange. Any photos? What sort of metals have you been dealing with in the past.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Bizzare stains

There are lots of possibilities. There will always be spots that are the first spots to stain, though it is unusual for them to be rectangular. If there was something underneath the vinyl at that point which was different than the rest of the wall, that could do it. Even slight temperature differences can affect the chances of a spot staining, and a different material under the liner would often cause a temperature change. But really there is no telling without looking behind the liner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School