salt -green rings

Jul 30, 2012
I have a goldline salt generator. it is reading 2100
I smell chlorine even though I never put any in and all my bathers rings are turning green.
got the water tested and PH was a little low . and they said salt was at 4400....
help please.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

First post up a full set of test results.

If you smell chlorine, that means you have high combined chlorine (CC) which is the byproduct of the free chlorine (FC) breaking something down ... not good. The solution is going through the shock process as described in Pool School. In fact, you should read all of Pool School a few times.

You are also going to struggle to maintain your pool without your own test kit (see my signature for a link) and you likely want your own salt test. You have to make your SWG happy with the salt level, but if it is in fact reading that low, that is one of the signs of the cell approaching the end of its life ... how old is the cell?

See this for what we need to help you:
pool-school/read_before_you_post

Most cells last 3-5 years. Sounds like you should get yours tested and may need to replace it ... although that is not the only reason your FC may be 0. It could also be zero if your CYA is too low and all the FC is being broken down by the sun as fast as the SWG can make it.

How did you get these results?

pH is WAY too low ... could be causing the liner fade.
stabilizer is WAY too low for a SWG
and obviously FC is too low.

While the results only show a CC of 0.6 (depending on how the test was really done), there is likely a higher level is the smell is that strong.

1. Read Pool School a few times
2. Get yourself a Good test kit
3. Go through the shock process: Adjust CYA to 30ppm, and pH to 7.2 before starting.
4. Test your SWG cell and replace as needed.

Your levels are pretty far off of what they should be.

Start by raising the PH to at least 7.2. Then add stabilizer/CYA up to around 50. You want CYA at 70-80 eventually, but that should be done in two steps, so only go to 50 for now.

Until you get the SWG worked out, you need to add chlorine manually. Start by adding 5 ppm of chlorine manually after sunset this evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More educated folks will be along shortly.....

However..............

You have virtually no chlorine in the water, your pH is extremely low, and you really need to get some CYA (stabilizer) into the water. All of the chlorine you are producing via the salt cell is being consumed by the sun. So, if your salt readings are high enough and you are not producing enough, perhaps it is time for a new cell.

I would do a few things:

1: get a good test kit using the advice found on this site
2: read up on pool school a couple of times (everyone needs a couple of reads until it begins to make sense)
3: fix your pH
4: chlorinate with bleach until you get the cell situation in line

I answered the smell question in my first post ... it is due to CC (byproducts) ... mean you do not have enough chlorine (FC) in the pool, because either:
1. Your cell is not producing FC, because either the salt is too low or it is dead ... OR
2. It is producing, but the sun it breaking it down due to lack of CYA.

Is it the ring or the fingers turning green? Could just be due to you VERY low pH reacting with the metal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.