We have never had this much trouble with our 33 ft (25700 gallons) above ground pool. We did not cover it this past winter so leaves did get in and stay until we started cleaning in April (but we have done this for the past several winters). I went to my pool place that I bought the pool from and kept buying chemicals but never could get "clear" water in order to see the bottom. They recommended flocking which we did but this did not help either. They tested water and stated my calcium hardness was very high and maybe I should drain and start over. Whenever they promised to come over and look at my pool and they never showed, I decided to try the new pool place that had just opened to get some help. This was a Bioguard store which I had never used but at least I got to blue/green water but still not clear. At beginning of July, he finally tested for phosphates which were very high and they sold my Phosfree which I did that weekend. In 2 days, my water turned brown and I have never seen blue/green water since!! I have spent a small fortune since then trying to get something to change but whatever it is now is consuming my chlorine as soon as I put it in. I have treated it 1 more time with Phosfree since the test still shows it as high but I still can't seem to keep any chlorine. We weren't having this issue before I was told to treat for phosphates. Just to give an idea (and I keep chlorine tablets in skimmer) -- last Wed. I shocked with 5 scoops of the granular shock that I had to dissolve, on Thurs. I shocked with 7 scoops determined to get a chlorine reading. I took to the pool place to be tested and finally something (but only 1 FC) -- bought clarifier per their instructions and put in Friday night. On Saturday morning I took another water sample and again no chlorine!! I was sold 3 bags of shock (per what the Bioguard testing results stated was needed) and then told I must need "metal out" and bought 3 bottles of that. Nothing has changed at all in my pool's color and Sunday morning still not registering any shock per my testing strips. We are sick and tired of spending a fortune and getting nowhere and we are about the drain and refill at this point. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice to try before we do this?