Pool water is cloudy after 2 days from start up

Jul 30, 2012
Hi All,
I have read alot on this board in the last several day getting ready for the pool. I have ordered the test kit recommended, but bought the Walmart test kit yesterday ( Sunday)

We just put up a Intex SW pool with sand pump on Friday 7/27/12. It is a 18 x 52, it was full by Saturday AM and we added 160 pds of salt (called for 175) and approx. 2 lbs of cyauritic acid (called for 1.7) (amounts are for startup). We have been running the pump with the SWG for most of the time. The pump seems to be working good and no errors.

It was probably too early to take a sample to our pool store but I took one on Sat. afternoon and of course all the readings errored out. The guy at the pool store said I should add a gallon of the muratic acid to get the PH down (although know I am thinking if it did not read the PH, how did they know if it was high or low?) ;/ Anyway, I added the muratic acid on Saturday and Sunday after buying the Walmart test kit tested the water. I did read where you should wait a week to test after Muriatic acid, but I was excited)..:)

It showed
ph 7.2
Total Cl 0 (walmart kit did not show FC)
cya 37
TA 450 (this was hard to read, do you take the number of drops right when it turns green to Pink?? the water never really turned red.)?

So since there was no chlorine I went ahead and added 4 cups of Clorox on Sunday and retested the CL reading changed to 1 so I added 4 more cups :) and retested, it came up to 2 so I stopped there. ALSO just read where you are not to use SPLASHLESS...ugh...I did...but will not again!

So last night I retested and these are my results
ph 7.2
Total Cl 2
cya 42
TA 450

My only complaint is that the water is cloudy and the TA is way too high,but I read on here that you should not worry about the TA just to reach a target number?? Should I add acid and aereate or not?

I thought I would take another sample to the store today. I will buy some salt test strips too, I have to presume the salt is ok since the low salt or high salt alert is not going off.

So if I take away the TA number my complaint is cloudy water? I can only presume its from the high TA?

Suggestions and thoughts appreciated!
Tami

Maybe it was a typo, but you can measure the pH after only an hour or so after adding muriatic acid. It is the cyanuric acid (CYA) that can take up to a week to show up.

Was the water cloudy from the start or did it cloud up after adding the splash-less bleach?

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response and the Welcome. We ordered the Taylor k-2006.

Yes, that was a typo...cya takes a week. :)

The water was Cloudy on Sunday morning before we added the splashless bleach....it was clear all day Saturday. When I saw it getting cloudy and after reading, I decided I better get some chlorine in there quick. I looked this morning...it MIGHT be alittle cloudier?? and that could be from the bleach. My manual says it holds about 6981 gallons of water.

Thanks again,
Tami

Usually the "splashless" bleach typically can cause foaminess, but I think it can also cloud the water.

Since your chlorine has been low, I would bring your pool up to it's shock level (per it's cya level) and start the shocking process...though maybe wait until you kit arrives (when is it supposed to come?). Higher FC levels will also help speed up getting rid of the stuff in the splashless.

Hi all,
Well still no test kit :( am checking on it but in the mean time I have to leave town and will be back on Sunday. I have been testing the water with the Walmart kit everyday and keeping the CL level up at 5. The cya has continued to come up and the PH has continued to rise it was 8.2 last night, I had bought some salt reading sticks and my salt was 1620. The TA has been going down SLOWLY...

So last night the reading were
CL 5
cya 60
ph 8.2
TA 390

This AM I put the numbers into the pool calulator and added 40lbs of salt, 60 oz of muratic acid.

My reading are now
CL 5
CYA 60
PH 7.2
TA BACK UP TO 420

I am going to leave the pump running to aereate unitl I get back...anything else yall would recommend. So hoping my kit is here when I get home.
Thanks,
Tami

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.